T-Shirt Forums banner

Oki vs Audley

7K views 45 replies 11 participants last post by  khrisy85 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.

I’m choosing a dtf printer and have a couple of questions about it. Firstly I’m between oki with white toner and audley with 4 heads. The second has a big size and additional powder machine that produces smog which is a small problem. Actually I can‘t understand the purpose of the powder machine and why oki printer doesn’t has it. And finally oki is x2 more fast then Audley. Oki prints A4 color 5ppm. That equals 187 square meters per hour. And Audley produces 75m2/h. But Audley price is x2 less and this is big plus. Both use flex I suppose. So, what to choose?

#2 ·
It's like you're trying to compare one brand of electric car to another brand of gas engine car. Apple to orange. Forget about brands and models until you figure out whether you're going DTF or White Tone Laser. Personally, I don't like Audley for a variety of reasons I don't want to go into, but DTF is much better than WTL, IMHO

#9 ·
DTG prints directly to the garment. No transfer involved.
Much better in terms of look and feel, but very difficult to learn and get it right.
A small mistake can easily cost $5 to $10 (shirt + ink).
Not to mention the much higher cost of DTG equipment and DTG does not have the inventory convenience, flexibility, and potential to sell transfers that DTF allows.

As I see it, the only advantage to WTL is very low maintenance (DTG, DTF very high) but enough negatives (mostly quality) that IMHO: WTL is a dud.

#12 ·
Well... DTG printers can print DTF too, ...
Yes, DTG machine can do DTF, but you wouldn't buy a $20k machine to do the job of a $7k machine (or $2k in my case for a commercial machine). And if you have a DTF machine, you may find that you can get by doing the same types of jobs as DTG machines without making that investment. Already owning a DTG machine is different than choosing between one or the other.
...BUT selling transfers involves shipping costs, so you may as well ship the shirt itself.
The profit margins are bigger on shirts, especially if you can get them at real wholesale prices.
DTG has its positives, but white ink is definitely a big pain in the butt. Personally I only DTG CMYK.
first shipping transfers is much cheaper than shipping apparel.

When a client asks to buy DTF prints, they have their reasons. Typically they are also buying apparel wholesale, have a heat press (and often do HTV and/or screen printing, but don't have DTG or DTF equipment).

They may want to have transfers ready for future orders that they do not yet know the size, color or even style of apparel that it is going on. That's what I was referring to earlier with "inventory convenience and flexibiilty", as opposed to DTG.

When they ask if you sell DTF It's generally a yes or no question, not a great opportunity to pitch them on finished apparel at higher margins.
I don't like laser transfers on garments either, but I know people making good money with white toner printing.
T-shirts are not the only things you can make money printing.
My sister has a Ricoh C7100X and it's definitely a moneymaker.
Yes, WTL has better utility and opportunity for substrates other than apparel.

#13 ·
Yes, DTG machine can do DTF, but you wouldn't buy a $20k machine to do the job of a $7k machine (or $2k in my case for a commercial machine).
a) Why not?
b) Not all DTG printers don't cost $20,000.
c) Another thing DTG printers can do is printing hybrid (DTG over screen-printed base).

When a client asks to buy DTF prints, they have their reasons.
If the client asks for DTF, then OK.
Unfortunately, not everybody likes how DTF looks and feels.

#7 ·
You should do a bit more research before buying anything. DTG is inkjet printing directly on a garment. DTF is inket printed on a film transfer that is pressed onto the garment. The Oki uses toner, which is a very different technology. In general, it will not give you results as good as a inkjet printer for garments. Get samples made with all 3 methods. You can purchase finished shirts from the Oki and DTG printers. For DTF, you can either purchase a finished shirt or purchase the transfers and press them yourself. Many DTF vendors will send you free samples to test.

#28 ·
Some say ink jet is a better quality but Laser is good for cotton dark shirts but doesn,t do well in wash.
You can do a Hy Brid bt doing white toner laser on the A sheet and Ink Jet Sublimation on the B sheet of the Neenah paper for darks. This gives a higher resolution and softer hand with using ink jet as well as vibrany colors of sublimation ink. This is by the patent process of ATI.

#29 ·
LATE REPLY - HOPE IT HELPS
NOTE: This was my first big purchase from China - I was very afraid but trusted in my research. This is unbiased

I have an Audley DTF with 2x Epson I3200 Printheads (do not buy the cheap heads - after a lot of research it is obvious they don't last very long - the good heads are rated for 2-3 years)

It has been printing for 2 months now and already used 100 meters of film.

For the price I paid it was well worth it - it really was a good purchase.

FIRSTLY - IMPORTANT
If you go this route make sure that if you are buying directly from them that the entire transaction is DDP (Delivered duty paid - includes insurance as well) and use Alibaba Trade Assurance even if it costs a bit extra

MY EXPERIENCE THUS FAR
  1. Goods arrived in good order - crating was good - with the trade assurance I received detailed photos of all packaging etc. beforehand so no mistakes were made.
  2. When the machine arrived they created a WhatsApp group with 2x Engineers and the Sales Agent.
  3. Assembly was a breeze with very little assistance required from their technicians - however, make sure you ask them to check everything before switching the machine on - IMPORTANT!!
  4. When loading inks for the first time the WHITE will take longer the go through the system. We cheated by sucking the pipes from the other end as we were stupid but it worked like a charm.
  5. The machine build is as good as it gets compared to all the big brands. I was very surprised at how well everything was fitting together like a glove.
  6. You get a lot of spare parts so you are good to go for a while. I still don't know what half of it is for but they are there.
  7. Before you switch on they will ask you if all your ink pipes are secured - don't make the mistake a made where my white ink hose popped out and there was ink everywhere. Use long nose pliers and gently help the pipes go over their seating points.
  8. I was up and running in a day and then realized the alignment of the heads where out - this procedure is not in the manuals and videos supplied but it took them about 10 minutes via WhatsApp to fix. When it happens now it is a quick 2-minute fix.
  9. By the way, their support is rather good even with the different time zones. Your salesperson is on the same chat group and makes sure there are no language barriers.
  10. The powder shaking machine is SUPER albeit daunting at first, I even use it now for short runs as well just by using the heater on its own. Be sure to understand or ask them - DTF is awesome but this part is essential for stress-free operation.
  11. I use this machine in South Africa where the temperatures easily reach 40 Degrees Celcius and this bad boy just keeps on going with no ink starvation as I experience on my HP printer as there is a option to WET the heads if the machine has been standing for a while.
SUPPLIES:
Make sure you buy the Premium Quality Inks, Powder and Matte Cold Peel Film else make sure you insist on these from your local suppliers. The cheap inks especially the White can split. The powder particles must be very very small else they will not adhere to small details.

As a rule I turn my ink bottles upside down every second week - same you do with wine bottles I suppose 🍷

They are supplies are really very good and the print feel is awesome and last long after numerous washes and ironing (inside out)

SOFTWARE:
  1. They sell Maintop which is OK but I hate it, the fact that it makes the white a little lese denser using fine lines is ok but HALFTONES does the same trick. To be fair it's just a awkward interface I am not used to.
  2. I also bought SAI FlexiPrint as well and absolutely love it. Jobs go in and out with no hassles whatsoever. The provided ICC Profiles work very well (make sure you ask for it)
  3. I push through all my artwork as CMYK and I am glad to say I would not have thought the end results are so good for the price I paid for the machine.
  4. I also invested in a Photoshop Action Scrip called Rasterme for $39 and boy it was worth every cent. It makes light work of halftoning even on coloured shirts like yellow and red - LIFESAVER - Your customers will love the look and makes me feel like a rockstar!
RAMBLINGS:
  1. Be patient in the beginning - especially when installing the heads
  2. The freaking WASTE BOTTLE - make sure your pipes are tied down that go into the bottle else it will look like you blew an artery ;)
  3. If your shirts are not 100% Dry (due to humidity) the transfers will be CRAP! Take the time and pre-press for 5 seconds or so before the transfer is applied to remove any moisture and for goodness sake press again after the transfer has been applied - easily a 20-second process in total that will be worth it.
  4. Cold-Peel umm means exactly that, especially on halftones.
  5. They also do not mention auto cleaning cycles etc. please make sure it has been set. On that note, you can set the cleaning type yourself which is very convenient so I do a LOW clean twice daily due to the temperatures.
  6. I clean my machine every 2 to 3 days depending on usage. Take care of your printheads and get the gunk off the dampers.
  7. DTF is great because I can do oversized prints larger than my heat press with no issues at all.
MATERIALS:
  1. My DTF works great on all kinds of cotton and polyester mixes and lycra with no issues. As I always double-press the DTF prints and they really stick like crazy and caps are a breeze.
  2. On umbrellas and gazebos, I do get some glue bleed/seepage so you need to experiment with your pressures however they stick very nicely and look stunning.
  3. On paper serviettes, it is bloody awesome and even halftone photos look stunning.
  4. Works rather well on wood - more experimenting is needed as the wood I tested on was wet and had glue permeating from it when heated.
  5. Not tested on steel yet
  6. IT DOES NOT LAST ON KEVLAR - we had to try :cool:
Hope this helps

Nose Eyebrow Eye Eyelash Toy

Outerwear Textile Orange Sleeve Baby & toddler clothing

Outerwear Product Sleeve Grey T-shirt

Product Window Font Blackboard Art

Office supplies Office equipment Creative arts Sewing machine Sewing machine feet

Office equipment Machine Creative arts Computer hardware Font

#30 ·
LATE REPLY - HOPE IT HELPS
NOTE: This was my first big purchase from China - I was very afraid but trusted in my research. This is unbiased

I have an Audley DTF with 2x Epson I3200 Printheads (do not buy the cheap heads - after a lot of research it is obvious they don't last very long - the good heads are rated for 2-3 years)

It has been printing for 2 months now and already used 100 meters of film.

For the price I paid it was well worth it - it really was a good purchase.

FIRSTLY - IMPORTANT
If you go this route make sure that if you are buying directly from them that the entire transaction is DDP (Delivered duty paid - includes insurance as well) and use Alibaba Trade Assurance even if it costs a bit extra

MY EXPERIENCE THUS FAR
  1. Goods arrived in good order - crating was good - with the trade assurance I received detailed photos of all packaging etc. beforehand so no mistakes were made.
  2. When the machine arrived they created a WhatsApp group with 2x Engineers and the Sales Agent.
  3. Assembly was a breeze with very little assistance required from their technicians - however, make sure you ask them to check everything before switching the machine on - IMPORTANT!!
  4. When loading inks for the first time the WHITE will take longer the go through the system. We cheated by sucking the pipes from the other end as we were stupid but it worked like a charm.
  5. The machine build is as good as it gets compared to all the big brands. I was very surprised at how well everything was fitting together like a glove.
  6. You get a lot of spare parts so you are good to go for a while. I still don't know what half of it is for but they are there.
  7. Before you switch on they will ask you if all your ink pipes are secured - don't make the mistake a made where my white ink hose popped out and there was ink everywhere. Use long nose pliers and gently help the pipes go over their seating points.
  8. I was up and running in a day and then realized the alignment of the heads where out - this procedure is not in the manuals and videos supplied but it took them about 10 minutes via WhatsApp to fix. When it happens now it is a quick 2-minute fix.
  9. By the way, their support is rather good even with the different time zones. Your salesperson is on the same chat group and makes sure there are no language barriers.
  10. The powder shaking machine is SUPER albeit daunting at first, I even use it now for short runs as well just by using the heater on its own. Be sure to understand or ask them - DTF is awesome but this part is essential for stress-free operation.
  11. I use this machine in South Africa where the temperatures easily reach 40 Degrees Celcius and this bad boy just keeps on going with no ink starvation as I experience on my HP printer as there is a option to WET the heads if the machine has been standing for a while.
SUPPLIES:
Make sure you buy the Premium Quality Inks, Powder and Matte Cold Peel Film else make sure you insist on these from your local suppliers. The cheap inks especially the White can split. The powder particles must be very very small else they will not adhere to small details.

As a rule I turn my ink bottles upside down every second week - same you do with wine bottles I suppose 🍷

They are supplies are really very good and the print feel is awesome and last long after numerous washes and ironing (inside out)

SOFTWARE:
  1. They sell Maintop which is OK but I hate it, the fact that it makes the white a little lese denser using fine lines is ok but HALFTONES does the same trick. To be fair it's just a awkward interface I am not used to.
  2. I also bought SAI FlexiPrint as well and absolutely love it. Jobs go in and out with no hassles whatsoever. The provided ICC Profiles work very well (make sure you ask for it)
  3. I push through all my artwork as CMYK and I am glad to say I would not have thought the end results are so good for the price I paid for the machine.
  4. I also invested in a Photoshop Action Scrip called Rasterme for $39 and boy it was worth every cent. It makes light work of halftoning even on coloured shirts like yellow and red - LIFESAVER - Your customers will love the look and makes me feel like a rockstar!
RAMBLINGS:
  1. Be patient in the beginning - especially when installing the heads
  2. The freaking WASTE BOTTLE - make sure your pipes are tied down that go into the bottle else it will look like you blew an artery ;)
  3. If your shirts are not 100% Dry (due to humidity) the transfers will be CRAP! Take the time and pre-press for 5 seconds or so before the transfer is applied to remove any moisture and for goodness sake press again after the transfer has been applied - easily a 20-second process in total that will be worth it.
  4. Cold-Peel umm means exactly that, especially on halftones.
  5. They also do not mention auto cleaning cycles etc. please make sure it has been set. On that note, you can set the cleaning type yourself which is very convenient so I do a LOW clean twice daily due to the temperatures.
  6. I clean my machine every 2 to 3 days depending on usage. Take care of your printheads and get the gunk off the dampers.
  7. DTF is great because I can do oversized prints larger than my heat press with no issues at all.
MATERIALS:
  1. My DTF works great on all kinds of cotton and polyester mixes and lycra with no issues. As I always double-press the DTF prints and they really stick like crazy and caps are a breeze.
  2. On umbrellas and gazebos, I do get some glue bleed/seepage so you need to experiment with your pressures however they stick very nicely and look stunning.
  3. On paper serviettes, it is bloody awesome and even halftone photos look stunning.
  4. Works rather well on wood - more experimenting is needed as the wood I tested on was wet and had glue permeating from it when heated.
  5. Not tested on steel yet
  6. IT DOES NOT LAST ON KEVLAR - we had to try :cool:
Hope this helps

View attachment 276842

View attachment 276843

View attachment 276844

View attachment 276845

View attachment 276846

View attachment 276847
Thank you for the comprehensive information. Are you still happy with your Audley DTF, I’m looking at them right now and thinking about taking the plunge.