T-Shirt Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
First guesses are something to do with either use of transparent colors in file, RIP, or RIP knockout settings.
I don't use transparent colors. I use halftones.
The RIP is not the issue, because as a screen-printer I know how to create the print file manually, and I have done so.
By the way... This type of design cannot be done well with screen-printed transfers either.
I've seen other people trying to do it as well, but the results are always somewhere between bad and awful.

If DTF was as good as some say, all screen-printing shops would be out of business by now.
We all know they are not.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Cost advantage to screen printing on higher volume, low color jobs.
But the average job for small shops is 30-50 shirts... so DTF is in many cases cheaper.
People just like how screen-printed shirts look and feel, and everyone knows it.

Anyway the original question was DTF vs laser transfers, and for t-shirts DTF is definitely better.
So let's leave screen-printing out of it...

Then the OP asked about DTG...
Honestly I'd say DTF vs DTG is 50/50, give or take, depending on the design.
There are cases where DTF or even vinyl are preferable, BUT for the other 50% of the cases DTG is better.
Now, DTG printers can print DTF... So which direction should one go?
I'd say doing both is better... but what if you only have space for one printer, or whatever?
That's all I'm saying...

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
What’s wrong with white ink?
a) It's a printhead killer.
b) White ink DTG is not easy. OK for DTF though.

I’m looking at a one well known DTG pinter now. It comes with 4 and 5 colors. And 5 colors model is more expensive.
White ink printers have more expensive printheads, and additional components to support the white ink channels.
White ink requires printhheads with 6 or 8 ink channels. CMYK+WW or CMYK+WWWW.
There is also the white ink circulation system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
a) It's a printhead killer.
b) White ink DTG is not easy. OK for DTF though.

White ink printers have more expensive printheads, and additional components to support the white ink channels.
White ink requires printhheads with 6 or 8 ink channels. CMYK+WW or CMYK+WWWW.
There is also the white ink circulation system.
But how can I print white underbase on dark materials without white ink?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Some say ink jet is a better quality but Laser is good for cotton dark shirts but doesn,t do well in wash.
You can do a Hy Brid bt doing white toner laser on the A sheet and Ink Jet Sublimation on the B sheet of the Neenah paper for darks. This gives a higher resolution and softer hand with using ink jet as well as vibrany colors of sublimation ink. This is by the patent process of ATI.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts