T-Shirt Forums banner

oki pro8432wt .. anyone got one ?

[Okidata Laser Printers] 
21K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  tfalk 
#1 ·
looking for a replacement to do cotton Tee's, ive been sublimating for the last 3 years, i dont have any issues with it apart from the gildan polyester shirts are just to thin and results in the odd complaint.

other poly shirts are just to expensive and then you cant compete.

ive toyed with the idea of these oki white toner printers for a while and keep seeing mixed emotions and its a lot of money to me to make a cock up :eek:

so i guess im just looking for a straight answer to how the finished product looks.

#3 ·
We were given a printed red t-shirt by OKI at ISS in Atlantic City. Admittedly I did not follow their wash instructions (inside out, cold, hang dry), but threw the shirt in with everything else. I wanted to see how easy it would be to effectively ruin the logo. This is after 5 washes. Cracks are clearly visible, even minor stretching of the fabric looks horrible. Not impressed so far.... iColor claims a 100 wash durability if you follow their wash instructions. I'm having a very hard time believing it...

Attachments

#7 ·
I've been using this printer's predecessor, the 920WT, for about four years ... have had $129,000 worth of shirts run through it (just a small part time shop). In all of that time, I've had "one" customer come back to me concerned about durability (and that was on a non-white toner shirt using Image-Clip for lights). That was a white shirt and I'm positive he used bleach.

The 920WT is a monster in terms of size compared to the 8432 but it looks like the toner is a bit lower cost per print.

(I picked my 920wt up used, with extra toner cartridges, for just under $5,000 about 4 years ago from a guy who'd gotten frustrated with the marry process on A-B paper .... and, from my understanding, OKI will continue to support the 920 for another few years. If I was doing it all over again, I'd stick with the proven 920).

#9 ·
Had my friends at Col Desi print a 100% cotton black t for me along with the identical transfers for comparison.
After wash number 2 the garment graphics had faded noticebaly when compared to the identical tranfer grapich. Faded like one of those tees one has had for years....not a bad thing.

No, I did not follow washing instructions, but dumped this tee in with the dozens of tees I already cycle through my wear today inventory. The difference is, the test tee has been spared the indignity of being saturated in crying fat. Bleach is never used.

If the test tee degradation is linear, I expect to see de-lamination before wash number ten.
But....I hoping to be surprised. I simply want this simple methodology to work.

#10 ·
I saw 2 things that were poor in the transfer from Oki at the ISS show in TFALKS post.
FADING. That is caused by the paper they used as the binder in that coating isn,t keeping it from fading.
CRACKING. The plastic resins in the toners causes it to crack and this is why the cracking occurs with this process.
AL
atttransfer@atttransfer.com
1-908-213-2830

Reactions: Tabz
#11 · (Edited)
I bought the oki pro8432wt before that I had a Oki c831 which I sold and still got the oki c810 and oki c830. I did try the white toner swop out on the c830 the process with swopping out toners and the registration issues not to mention using all different products and not to even start on the amount of steps to get a shirt printed and out the and wastage I would be typing for hours. I went to a show and watched a demo the new pro8432 I said ok last try at this or I would be just packing it in.

The best purchase I have ever made, make no mistakes there are a few issues that worried me as I am a illustrator by trade and extremely fussy when it comes to quality of print etc.. I purchased a box of forever laser dark as 95% of my shirts are black I also purchased a stahls fusion press as they were offering a show deal so I got it at a real bargain price and they gave me the forever transfer rip as part of the deal as I bought the OKi Pro ,Stahlsfusion and forever products. I also got 3x white toners and a set cmy.

I set up the Oki pro8432 installed all drivers and the transfer rip I also installed all the latest profiles from forever for their products which I found was really easy and got all the support I needed. Called Oki and they walked me through which was the best setup to use as I was using my iMac with VMfusion to run windows on my mac for the the forever transfer rip(still don't get in this day and age they don't make a version for mac??).

I did training on the transfer rip and forever products. I also did all the youtube tutorials I could find and did a lot of homework on using the Oki, forever transfer rip and my heat press tips and tricks and played with the software as much as I could and got to know what everything did and what it was used for.
I used artwork from all my t-shirts and garments I had done and printed before. One thing is make sure you understand your graphics software and you also understand what is the best files for your printer and how to properly set up your files etc there are many tutorials on this freely available.

From the first press I knew I had made the right choice and it just got better for me from there on. The printer is really good sharp vibrant colours was a little shocked at how good it was and all in one pass, the forever rip works and I would suggest it to anybody using this system.I have read on the forum about registration problems etc on a full colour print I have never seen anything like that, I have had a few issues with printing solid black but I seem to have got around that with the help from the guys at forever. The registration and white borders are easily sorted out in the rip with a under filling tool that reduces the white fill by a few pixels in stages as you need and that took care of what forever call the "pixel graphics problem" were the Oki recognises very faint pixels and fills them with colour as this is how the printer is designed with white over printing but only happens on dark garment profile as the white profile reduces the amount white and this does not happen.

I am so happy with this printer and the set up, the garments are vibrant soft hand and I washed a couple as per the instructions and had no cracking no fading. I even washed a few much hotter with no problems at all. I will say use the products as per instructions and as they were designed to use, use the rip with the white toner printer it makes a huge difference. I have not had one bad marriage with the a-b sheets and not messed up many garments other then the testing the different profiles ,setting etc. I stick to the settings from forever to the second and they amazing.

The black issue I think will always be a issue. On black garments and thats what I mostly print on it is no issue as the rip deletes all the black from the graphic and uses the black from the garment rasterised it looks amazing so I don't even print black and it has a really soft hand. On white garments it's really black against the white and coloured garments I don't use the white spot behind black and it is well more then enough. The black issue is only seen if you print black on a black garment and who would want to do that any way?? it looks so much better if you use the garment black and feels amazing.

I have have never been the biggest Oki fan and they really pissed me off in the past saying that so did forever products but this system is really good I am really happy. The stahls fusion is amazing but I am sure a insta, adkins, geo knight are just as good. As for start up costs go it is expensive but with this it gets better and you can get products out the door fast. I have been really busy and have had no come backs so far. I think I will get my investment back no problem but I really don't care about getting my investment back in record time. I do care care about a quality product going out the door after all I want to be proud of what I put out and to me its not about selling 100 cheap *** looking shirts a day that I have pulled my hair out trying to get it out the door. I also want to enjoy what I do and for the first time in 8-9 months I can sit down and design my garments and enjoy it. I have spent so much time trying to get something to work that I forgot about what I wanted to start and I am finally enjoying it.

So a big YES to me the Oki pro8432 ticks all my boxes and I am really happy with the printer and I really am enjoying myself once again.

#14 ·
So just chatted with the folks at Digital Heat FX about purchasing this printer - kind of scared but yet excited about this printer - So I am seeing a lot of people talk about the Forever Rip .... I asked the rep at Digital FX about their Rip Software -vs- Forever Rip and he said that the RIP software that comes with the printer should work perfect since it was designed specifically for this printer.... Has anyone had success with the RIP that comes with the printer?

#15 ·
In short no, If I did not purchase the forever rip I would have given up on this venture. It was like night and day. And the so called rip software that comes with the printer dumps 300% white on your transfer and was a nightmare and very expensive. And the ghost pixels that everyone is calling a registration problem is programmed by the Oki software to be filled with color which becomes white and coloured lines around your artwork. If you a master on photoshop you can get around this. The forever rip has a feature dedicated to under-filling that exact problem. Not going to say it can not be done but will say good luck with that. Save yourself the headaches and frustration wasting boxes of paper trying to get it sorted out, the suppliers love it you just keep buying box after box and getting advice that is worth less then the 20 sec telephone call. This is just my experience and my opinion. Use the forever paper they stand behind their product and after sales service is good, well here in the United Kingdom they are. I can't talk for anywhere else but can't see they that much different. Buying the rip was my last shot at getting this printer working and it did that exactly I have never looked back.

#17 ·
Ebay has a lot of Oki color printers for sale including the c711WT. Haven,t seen the 8432WT as yet.
One person I heard bought a brand new Oki c6000 still in the original box for $199.00.
A simple white conversion and they have saved thousands.

#18 ·
Hi moto, I’m dealing with Amaya now regarding the smaller A4 OKI white toner printer. The pro7411wt. They’ve sent me some samples but they’re not very good. They haven’t told me what paper they’ve used (I’m waiting for a reply) but the print has an almost plasticky feel to it, it feels cheap and nasty to be honest.

The shirt sample I was sent was a dark shirt was a full colour image (lots of colours) I also don’t think they used any rip software as they’ve printed black ink on a black shirt.

Are you using the forever laser-dark paper?

#19 ·
Thanks for your informative posts - we are looking at the OKI as alternative to new Epson 2100 DTG. Workflow (no pretreat) and media versatility, not to mention capital and maintenance cost. I read the threads on the reported problems and immediately thought 'RIP problems' due to our extensive experience with wide format print. My local OKI dealer advised not buying without Forever RIP.

#20 ·
Hi freeair ,

Its a really good printer, I just think its not right that Oki has used such a sub standard mask or Oki rip what ever you want to call it. It is absolutely ghastly. I would take your OKI dealers advice and only purchase the printer if you intend on getting the Forever rip with it. If you a highly experience photoshop operator you could also get around the problems that their mask(rip) throws at us.

I am at the moment I am really enjoying this printer and the forever rip, it just seems to get better the more I use it and the more I understand the rip features. It is really a precise printer. So far so good. It has never given me any problems and I am extremely happy with it. Just got out a 50 garment order and did not have any waste or any problems. The customer really loved the t-shirts and commented on the sharpness of the print as they had some smaller fonts with in the design. If I go back 4 months I was apologising on a regular basis. I use forever laser dark for most of my prints and I have a good press I have a fusion as the clamshell press I had before did not seem to cut it. I would recommend a good press swing away if possible a insta, geo knight, stalls fusion, adkins and I am sure there are a few more which would do just fine. I am testing with neenah paper and getting good results as well. So all in all I recommend the OKI with the rip.

#21 ·
Thanks, based on your and others similar posts, I'm updating quote request to include swing-away and staying with the semmingly tried and true Forever papers. Not made of money, but honestly, this is an add-on product line for us as our focus is on wide-format. So having a low-maintenance and dependable solution for low quantity requests (we will sub screen print) to fill out product line more important than cost as customers will pay for a hassle free experience.

#23 ·
Hi I understand from your post you are really happy with the OKI Pro8432WT and are successfully using it with the Transfer Rip from Forever. I am really struggling to get to grips with both and am finding it really hard to get any advice. When I watch a tutorial on YouTube etc the version being demonstrated looks nothing like what I have on screen (my version 5.31.00) ?? I am having real problems with a logo I have previously printed perfectly, now when I print it either has a red tone or a yellow and I have not changed any settings. If you can help or offer any advice I would be extremely grateful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.