T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there using an Oki c3400 and Neenah Image Clip Laser Dark that is having any success want to share their knowledge? I am struggling with this! Marrying the images is a battle I have not won.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been fighting the same battle with my Oki c3600, and believe I have finally achieved some success. The first issue is making sure the colors you print are intense enough to hold the polymer coating. (This is not as easy as it sounds.) A bright color used on a small section of your image may coat just fine, but the same color used in a larger area may exhibit polymer "holes". I found that a pure CMYK Yellow did not achieve complete coverage, while a slightly darker Pantone Yellow did. It was necessary to experiment with different shades of some colors in order to see which held the coating best. (Almost like figuring out color-matching with sublimation.)
I use the Labels 2 setting when printing. (Tried "Ultra Heavy" and the toner didn't distribute properly on the paper, leaving holes and spots). When pressing the two sheets together, I set my DK 14 at the highest pressure possible, and used a heat-conducting rubber pad on the bottom platen to achieve high and even pressure. I pressed for 20 seconds (with nothing on top of the transfer sheets) at as close to 255 degrees as I could manage (kept checking the temperature readout before pressing). After opening the press, I rubbed the top sheet (light brown printing) with a potholder for approximately 10 seconds. I then lifted the "married" sheets and peeled them above (not on) the heat press. What I seem to be learning is that if you peel immediately after opening the heat press, the toner will not achieve complete polymer coverage (another expensive sheet into the trash). If I wait too long before peeling, the toner will literally tear off the sheet (...yet another sheet into the trash). If the pressure isn't very, very heavy, incomplete coverage will result. I don't know if rubbing the top sheet with the pot holder for 10 seconds it the key to success...but the combination of all the above has finally worked for me--most of the time.
It seems that the tolerances for using this product successfully are extremely narrow, and due to all the variables, it is quite challenging to use. However, when you somehow get everything "right" the results can be excellent. Still, I question whether this product is user-friendly enough--given its high cost and level of waste--to be on the market yet. Hope that Neenah is continuing to work on making this product easier to use. The market is certainly waiting eagerly for it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm using an OKI 3200 and have been having trouble getting good contrast in the final image transferred to the garment (black tshirt). The results from step 1 (marrying the imaged sheet with the polymer sheet) have been very good. I can see 1oo% coverage of the polymenr onto the image sheet. But when pressing the image sheet on to the garment at 375 deg. for 25 sec. , the final image looks to have a "milky" appearance with very little contract compared to the original jpeg. I'm starting to believe that the product can't handle but a graphic with one color similar to the utube video that "badalou" produced at a show demoing this paper. The graphic looked very good on a black tshirt, but was only one color of blue. The graphic I'm trying to have success with is multi-color

Is anyone out there using a "better" printer and this paper and getting very good, saleable results with this paper on black tshirts? Your feeedback would be most appreciated.

Seth Glenn
Imprintable Impressions

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been having the same issues... the polymer not sticking properly due to the color used. Got an Oki3400 and attempted to print a multicolored image with 2 inch high CMYK Grey (0,0,0,50) and a couple of other bright light colors (orange, light blue), when i try and marry the papers, the grey doesnt stick to the polymer at all ! only a few specs stick, but the other colors stick perfectly...

Asad

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been having the same issues... the polymer not sticking properly due to the color used. Got an Oki3400 and attempted to print a multicolored image with 2 inch high CMYK Grey (0,0,0,50) and a couple of other bright light colors (orange, light blue), when i try and marry the papers, the grey doesnt stick to the polymer at all ! only a few specs stick, but the other colors stick perfectly...

Asad
I believe the problem you're having with the gray is that it is too light a shade of gray. Since the poymer is white and you're transferring the image to the white polymer via the "marrying" step, you need high contrast colors.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am using an oki 8800 and having great success .

one thing i did though is first i cut a white t-shirt in half and a black one the same and printed a full color chart on them to see how light of a full chart would come through on thre print ( on grey shades)

i also use this chart with my customers now when picking colors for their prints so its use has become extremly valuable to my printing.

It is also a good way to determine what the color on the screen will look like on the garment as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Opron for the info. I looked into the OKI 8800 as you mentioned that you were having good results with this printer and the Image Clip for Darks paper. Unfortunately, the price of this printer is a bit too high for me to justify in my fledgling business.

Anyone out there having good results with Image Clip Dark paper and an OKI 5000 or 6000 series printer. I'm looking to get vibrant colors on especially black t-shirts

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Seth Glenn
Imprintable Impressions

·
Registered
265 Posts
you can get good prints on darks, but you are limited to what designs you can print with it. Its hard to explain, but once you start using it you will understand.

Also the only way to do white with colors is to use concert T's as an underlay. If you press the concert T white on top of the colors though, it will eat the print. ( so concert T white first, then the colored print on top.

Another tip about the Image clip dark is that you must PEEL IT COLD after heat pressing. Wait until it is completly cold or it will pull the color off. Then to keep it from cracking, put it under the press again, and press it for 15 seconds, then stretch the print each way thoroughly hot out of the press.

Great prints every time . I got it down to a science.

·
Registered
12 Posts
opron, totally agree. If you saw the Neenah Paper demo that "badalou" posted to you tube, you'll see the rep used a solid blue image on a black t-shirt and it looked great. I've attached my artwork and you can see why my results are not saleable with this paper. I think too many colors and shades. I had to go overboard on the contrast as per Neenah Paper tech guys in order to get somewhat fair results.

I guess I'm going to source out this graphic to a DTG house for my dark t-shirts.

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
opron, totally agree. If you saw the Neenah Paper demo that "badalou" posted to you tube, you'll see the rep used a solid blue image on a black t-shirt and it looked great. I've attached my artwork and you can see why my results are not saleable with this paper. I think too many colors and shades. I had to go overboard on the contrast as per Neenah Paper tech guys in order to get somewhat fair results.

I guess I'm going to source out this graphic to a DTG house for my dark t-shirts.
that one should be easily done with image clip for darks ..

·
Registered
12 Posts
that one should be easily done with image clip for darks ..
Well, its not easily done with my OKI 3200 at this point. That's the reason I jumped into this thread for some help. I would like to see how it looks on a black t-shirt from output from a higher end OKI printer like yours, even though that printer is out of my price range right now.

I'd like to see if good results can be achieved from let's say an OKI 5000 or 6000 series printer as well.

If you'll email me at imprintableimpressions[USER=36795]@gm[/USER]ail.com with your mailing info, I'll send a CD with a high res. version of this graphic and if OK with you some Image Clip dark paper sets and a black t-shirt.
Thanks in advance
Seth Glenn

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am also curiuos how those gray colors like the pavement, route sign etc. will turn out with 8800.

what i did first off was printed 2- 11x17 color charts on a black shirt(front and back). This included grey scale and ligher toned colors as well ( about 300 plus colors) . the colors that were too light did not transfer. That way there i know when to darken a color a bit to get it to come through.

Saying that, the grey i see in the pavement photo would come through fine.

Again the paper has limitiations, but at this point i have printed and sold about 400 prints with repeat customers that love the prints. No complaints to date.

My only complaint was price (for the image clip darks), but i found a supplier here with great prices. So I am ok now.

I also discoved another problem though. I printed the first sheet one night and did not join the two together until the following day. The results were terrible. I basically ruined about 3 - 11x17 sheets. So i learned my lesson. Use up what you print the same night ..

cheers .. Tony

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi. If you are peeling it off cold, then at what point are you putting it under the press again?

Thanks.

you can get good prints on darks, but you are limited to what designs you can print with it. Its hard to explain, but once you start using it you will understand.

Also the only way to do white with colors is to use concert T's as an underlay. If you press the concert T white on top of the colors though, it will eat the print. ( so concert T white first, then the colored print on top.

Another tip about the Image clip dark is that you must PEEL IT COLD after heat pressing. Wait until it is completly cold or it will pull the color off. Then to keep it from cracking, put it under the press again, and press it for 15 seconds, then stretch the print each way thoroughly hot out of the press.

Great prints every time . I got it down to a science.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts