T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So....I always tell people buy a name brand heat press, Hix, stahls, hotronix etc... not a chinese press....well I did buy one...reason...had to...My hix press is having heating element problems and will get corrected by Hix ( I think) but my press went out on Friday...3 days ago...I had a $300 dollar job that I need the press for...and of course on Friday at 4 PM there is no way to get repairs or a new press in time for a Sunday press (now almost done)...I live almost 200 miles from Carson City Nevada so I called Sunie.com (they sell the Seiki press direct and on ebay) and they had a 15x15 digital press in stock...They agreed to meet me on Saturday. I drove up and picked up the press..$259 with a 3 year warranty on all parts (to include the digital stuff) I am almost half through and the press is working fine. So at the end of today I will have made enough to pay the cost. Oddly enough if you buy this press on ebay...only 6 months warranty....

Impressions...sort of a standard press with full digital temp/time. Center adjustment knob and seems sturdy enough. The adjustment knob is rather stiff to turn...maybe because it is still new. The temp seem pretty accurate according to my heat gun. I would not have purchased unless I was in the time line constraints I had but it has gotten me out of a jam

If I develop problems I will post here

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Re: Okay...I did what I tell others not to do

Hi Charles. I imported my swingaway presses direct from China. I worked out my costings on them lasting six months, then I'd upgrade. They are all still working and being used on a daily basis.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts

I am glad the sunie has helped you out of a jam,, I am a sunie owner since march and It has helped me start my business as well.
Sandy Jo:p

·
Registered
584 Posts

Definently keep us updated, because there is a reason why you buy brand names, and you might have not run into that reason yet. or may not for a couple of months! let us know how it goes~

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

Hey Charles, you won't regret your purchase, my sunie got me started and never gave me a problem, now i own a Mighty and have the sunie as a back up.

·
Registered
584 Posts

did you get the HP3805 or HP4801. for $10, what is the difference between these two?

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I think the only difference is the $249 one is the earlier version and maybe not be available much longer. Some cosmetic difference I am told. I am almost done with my emergency press and things are going just fine...so if it breaks tomorrow, I am out nothing but my drive (I won $76 at a slot machine at the Nugget)..so right now I am content...

We will see what Hix does about my heating element.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts

Charles,
For my sunie,, It is kind of a prehistoric, idea but it works,, for me, on my t-shirt setting for the pressure, i took a black marker and made 3 black marks on the screw threads, above the metal piece and below the metal piece.
When i adjust the pressure screw knob for sweats or whatever, i can see if i can went 1 or 1 and 1/2 turns, and return to where i was before, because of the black perm marker on the screw,
HOpe this makes sense if not i will post a pic

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
That was great of them to meet you on a Saturday! So Sunie Heat Presses are distributed out of Carson, NV?

It's great that you can get your money's worth out of the machine and have a backup if you need it, or sell it and still have gotten a good deal.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I have heard good things about the sunie press before, but I was skeptical. I may consider one for my mobile set up. I really find it hard not to take my Hix on the road. It has been my rock and I like to roll with it on the road. .... JB

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Thank you for posting this, Charles. Yeah, I agree, kudos to Sunie for meeting on a Saturday, tha's awesome, I think it speaks volumes. PLUS, you got to stop at the Nugget! Haha, I was giggling at that one! I wish you the best of luck with it in any manner you use it, as well as with the Hix. But if I can, I'd like to say thank you again for sharing. These reviews are so helpful. :)

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
actually I think the Sunie heat press is a 'Seiki press' but sold by Sunie.com. At least the name on the box was Seiki...as well as the same name on their vinyl cutter..

I have now completed the job I needed and so I am a happy camper at this point. I am talking to Hix about the problem with my old HT400..It could be the thermostat which means I have to buy...but with the temp readings all over the place on the press....I tend to think it is a heating element but then maybe could be the thermostat but I don't know why the thermostat would have variances on the upper plate...but they are to call me back..

As to adjusting the pressure, there is not a lot of differences between the new press and the Hix except the Hix adjusting knob is at the rear and the new press has it over the center

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well...now the results of Hix support...Not so good...here was the issue I was having..

in doing sublimation...worked just fine...but I had a transfer set that I bought in early aug...It was like a plastisol transfer and when pressed some small portions of the transfer did not adhere....I as upset..next in Long Beach two weeks ago...took the transfers back...the company pressed my transfer on my shirt with their press...perfect...385F for 5 seconds...came home tried the same setting...nada...cut a transfer intop four pieces and pressed at several temps/time..same issue...that is when I had to buy the Seiki Press from Sunie. And I got a good press

This AM I called Hix..talked to tech rep...got the run around for the most part..since sublimation press worked..and transfer did not, they said it was the transfer...when I explained the test I did and results were the same...then Tech Support says well maybe the bottom platen...the pad had weakened and was not giving good even pressure. but when I told them I had use a teflon pad and also Lous Tee pad it...they suggested I use an old sweater under the shirt to maybe make it even..

They were not in a receptive mood about the heating element...suggesting maybe a thermostat..something not under warranty..

Next suggestion...ship back to kansas for testing...at my expense...hell that costs more than the new press.

So I guess just give up on the tech support and use this press for sublimation...reason sublimation might work with a spotty element is that the sublimation turns the ink into a gas and it will permeate the garment easily under the right temp/pressure...

Now I wonder why Hix is taking hard line about the element...even with readings from and IR gun shows variances in temp...and they are right on with the new press....

maybe buying a name press is not the absolute way to go...my justification is that with a three warranty on all parts...I can buy this cheapie 4 times and not exceed what I paid for the Hix!...

I will keep all posted..

·
Registered
584 Posts
wow that warranty information changes everything, and needs to be posted on the other Cheap Heat Press thread, to show that just because you always buy name brand, doesn't mean you are always going to get the best service.

If you do decide to sell that Seiki. ...mmmm rrhhgghmm cough cough

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
actually I think the Sunie heat press is a 'Seiki press' but sold by Sunie.com. At least the name on the box was Seiki...as well as the same name on their vinyl cutter..

I have now completed the job I needed and so I am a happy camper at this point. I am talking to Hix about the problem with my old HT400..It could be the thermostat which means I have to buy...but with the temp readings all over the place on the press....I tend to think it is a heating element but then maybe could be the thermostat but I don't know why the thermostat would have variances on the upper plate...but they are to call me back..

As to adjusting the pressure, there is not a lot of differences between the new press and the Hix except the Hix adjusting knob is at the rear and the new press has it over the center
when you said Seiki it rang a bell. That is where I got my Roland blades for my JSi cutter I had.. 5 for 18 bucks. great deal and only used 2 before selling the init. Now I have a Roland and using the same blade for the last year.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Amazing, and thank you, Charles. It's great to be able to get your opionion on the press. I am not on a band wagon for either the name brand or the off brand presses. I've not, nor will I, stand on one side or the other. I feel the experiences can be good and bad on both sides, but, I do always feel there can be merit and value to the better performing off brand equipment. I am actually kind of glad you are one of the folks that is going to be testing out the Sunie, Charles. :)

Spank has a great point. Has this thread been linked to the Ebay press thread yet? Is this the same model that is the favored model in that thread? It really should be linked and noted that the warranty is much longer when not purchased on Ebay. :)

Who Lincoln? I mean linking? Who's up for it? :D

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update... I have now got almost a week of work done with the Sunie press..and still going just fine. I did use and IR gun to check the old Hix Press (purchased in 2003) and found some significant variances in the heat. So I am sure that my issue was heating element related. Odd but it works okay with sublimation...50-60 seconds dwell time...but does not do well on plastisol transfers as portions of the transfer do not adhere to the material but works okay on the new press...But for now I have given up on the Hix warranty and I guess I needed a backup press anyway.

By the way Lou....I had also purchased some cutter blades from Sunie for my GX24 and they worked just fine.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts