T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everyone on here.
I made a similar post a while back but sadly had no replies so I'm trying again.
I live in Sydney and am desperately seeking a mentor/teacher to show me the in's and out's of screen-printing.
Ideally I'd like to be able to come into someones shop and offer free labour in exchange for the opportunity to learn as much as possible.
I'm just getting ready to enrol in TAFE in Januaray to do their screen printing course and want as much practical experience as possible.
I'm eager to learn, enthusiastic and a hard worker.
Please PM me if you are willing to pass on some of your knowledge and offer a helping hand to a budding screen printer! :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Your offer sounds "threatening" to their business.
what if you will learn all the tricks and you will compete with them the next month?
that's the last thing a screen printer wants... a competitor. (there's no other screen printer around you or they just don't want to let you in that's why you're not getting any response)

just find one of those 1 or 2 days workshop in your area and enrol. that's probably the quickest for you right now. you have that motivation to learn so it will be very easy for you get the skill needed.

here's a summary of what you need to learn.
1) learn how to prepare artwork (digital, handdrawn, etc)
2) learn how to make a stencil (emulsion, screen, etc.)
3) learn how to expose artwork
4) learn about screen press (or how to use clamps)
5) learn about inks
6) learn how to cure printed t-shirts.

....these stuff are all in this forum... search.
goodluck!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi to everyone on here.
I made a similar post a while back but sadly had no replies so I'm trying again.
I live in Sydney and am desperately seeking a mentor/teacher to show me the in's and out's of screen-printing.
Ideally I'd like to be able to come into someones shop and offer free labour in exchange for the opportunity to learn as much as possible.
I'm just getting ready to enrol in TAFE in Januaray to do their screen printing course and want as much practical experience as possible.
I'm eager to learn, enthusiastic and a hard worker.
Please PM me if you are willing to pass on some of your knowledge and offer a helping hand to a budding screen printer! :)

If you want to learn DIGITAL PRINT'S ... Let me know.
Im flood of work maybe you can jump in?
Thanks
Ferdz

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. Although I must admit I find it very disheartening to think that experienced printers would be "threatened" by teaching a complete newbie.
I would have hoped people had enough passion for the art form that they'd enjoy showing someone a thing or two, as apossed to seeing a complete beginner as competition. I really hope business isn't that bad for people that they have to feel threatened by someone seeking to learn.
After all, everybody started somewhere themselves didn't they? :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mate, why dont you check this guys out. GJS Machinery Australia - screen printing equipment, printing supplies, dye sublimation, heat transfer, printing courses @ GJS Machinery Australia. They run a 6 hour course thats very practical and they dont do more than 10% of theory work, its all practical. They will go through all the printing solutions they have, which is similar to whats out there. Now the catch is you pay 330AUD. That, as a business, is deductable...stop being a tight ar*& and invest into your business....lol!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Although I must admit I find it very disheartening to think that experienced printers would be "threatened" by teaching a complete newbie.
I would have hoped people had enough passion for the art form that they'd enjoy showing someone a thing or two, as apossed to seeing a complete beginner as competition. I really hope business isn't that bad for people that they have to feel threatened by someone seeking to learn.
After all, everybody started somewhere themselves didn't they? :)
They have a passion, but they are also in business to make a living, so no they don't want competition. Your situation is not unique, believe it or not. I got my "experience" watching instructional videos over and over and over again, taking notes and posting those notes all over the room where I do my screen printing at. Then I just started practicing what I was watching on the videos. Granted it would be so much easier to find someone willing to show me the ropes, but I'm learning and you will too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts