T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be selling transfer and pre-printed T-Shirts at a convention this summer and are trying to determine if it is better to have more design choices or less? With only 6k - 8k attendees, we do not want to over stock, but we also do not want to have too few choices. Any advice on quantity or number of designs will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Sam,
We did quite a few music gigs for a few years as well as a few national Sporting Event Merchandise tours. As a rule of thumb, we measured the $ spend for each night by spend per head. In Aus $ with Ts retailing in Aus $ for between $35 & $50, the spend ranged between $1 per head to $8 per head. The $8 per head range was for acts such as The Stones and Deep Purple. Using $2 per head, if you 6K people come to the event, that is 12K sales at retail for the event and that is provided your vending outlets are high profile and well run. With the amount of styles to offer, my answer 4-6 is more than enough. Provided the designs are good designs, you want the customer to have choice but not too much choice. Any more and it just gets too hard to manage the stock. Make sure if you have a mixed gender audience you have some nice women's shapes for the women as well. We all tend to be optimistic and expect high sales but I have witnessed many customers way over stocked after an event because they were over optimistic. It is much better to be conservative and sell out with cash in your pocket than have plenty of stock and no cash in your pocket. If you sell out of a size half way through the event, don't worry, you will be surprised, they will buy another size. In fact, selling out of stuff tends to make people buy immediately because they don't want to miss out. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kenneth,

thanks for the input. Unless I am missing soemthing, your suggestion imples a 1:1 attendee to sale ratio? Even if youo were to sole t-shirt vendor, is this realistic?

·
Administrator
14,480 Posts
Unless I am missing soemthing, your suggestion imples a 1:1 attendee to sale ratio? Even if youo were to sole t-shirt vendor, is this realistic?
He's not so much implying a 1:1 ratio as he's allocating a dollar amount of sales per head based on total attendance.

This is a good way to estimate sales but there is an easier way to determine how much inventory to carry, especially if you have different prices on various products.

If you are not vending the "official" event shirt, stock to sell to 3% of attendees. Higher if you are selling the official shirt or if your designs are extraordinary.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You've got it Joe. It is simply a guide based on the total attendance. Yes if you can set up a heat press and make the t-shirts as you sell them, provided you have the resouces to do this and sell the shirts, I agree, this is by far the best way to go. If you don't have the exclusive, be very very carefull!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts