T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the reason you can't put regular vinyl... Thermoflex, easyweed etc. on Nylon?

I was looking at doing some football jerseys and they say they can only be applied to cotton or polyester or a blend. I just realized I accidentally put my son's name on the back of one of his jerseys and it is 100% nylon. Been about a year and it's still there.
Anyone had a bad experience?

I was trying to order a specific jersey design for a youth football team that is Nylon and have been holding off because of this issue. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
GC

·
Registered
456 Posts
I too have used the film for polyester on nylon reversible jerseys. I saw some numbers peeling off after a year of use. That's a question we might have to go to the manufacturer with.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Now, I have used Thermoflex Sport, Gorilla Grip and now exclusively HeatPressVinyl's HP-U on nylon jerseys without a problem. I think I've even used regular Thermoflex for names, and have never experienced any issues with peeling.

I think the biggest issue is the heat/time required for the Thermoflex vs. that of the Sport/GorillaGrip/HP-U vinyls. The higher heats, longer dwell times may melt your garment in the process. Afterall, Nylon/Polyester are both plastic materials themselves.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Some regular vinyl's will work ok on nylon but they can peel off, shrink or curl. Don't use easyweed definately it peels off and curls, I also have had eco film peel off too. I have had good results with Heatpress vinyl hp-u, hotmark 70 and videoflex extra.

·
Registered
471 Posts
i did 30 nylon drawsting backpacks with themoflex plus, well they r peeling off and curling on he end of he letters. i don't understand it either. but now i have to replace some of those bags as soon as i find a metallic silver for nylon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts