T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
ThWeems said:
I'm confused about something...

I've noticed that t-shirt printers vary their rates according to the number of colors in your design, from one color up to 5, 6, 7 or more.

Now from what I understand, with 4-color printing you combine cyan, yellow, magenta, and black components to create full-spectrum prints such as color photos. If that's the case, then what would be the advantage of using more than 4 colors if you can get any color you need from CYMK?
The color gamut of CMYK is somewhat limited. For example, you can't get a hot pink using CMYK. Bright blues are also hard to achieve. And process printing is very challenging to get right. It takes both a good prepress person (to make sure the colors are separated properly), and a good printer (to make sure the ink goes down properly), otherwise it can come out really muddy and dull. Not all silkscreen shops are good at this so if you're going to do CMYK, be sure to find a company that really knows the process.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.