T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've installed a new print head in my KIOSK. The long and short of it is that the attached image shows the best nozzle check i can get, as you can see the cyan is not perfect. My question is whether this will change or alter my printed colors. I have nothing to compare it to because I also replaced my monitor because my old one died. Currentely, the colors on my monitor are not matching the colors being printed.

If the cyan nozzle check is unacceptable and affecting my printed colors then I will pull it, back flush it etc. (I have already run many cleaning solution cycles as well as let it sit overnight with cleaning solution in the capping station). If it shouldn't affect the printed colors then I will spend my time trying to calibrate my new monitor.

Is the cyan nozzle check acceptable?

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm running the bulk system from Equipment Zone.

It's not the damper or in my case the bulk ink cartridge. I know this because I swapped cartridges around and the issue did not follow the cyan damper... it stayed with the cyan nozzle.

By monitor I meant my old CRT monitor died and i bought a new flat panel...so my question is whether the nozzle check I'm getting from the cyan would cause either a major or minor color quality issue on my finished goods. If it's not a major color problem creator, then i'll concentrate my efforts in calibrating my monitor, if the cyan nozzle is a quality issue then I will pull it and try to back flush it etc.

Looking for input from those much more experienced in this than I am.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Banned
487 Posts
If you can I would contact the place that sold you the head and see if they will do anything! Are you printing with white? if not you could try changing one of the white channels to Cyan! But stil I would see if they would be willing to send you a new one being this one has an apparent problem!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have spoken to the seller, he wants me to try cleaning it more over the weekend. He also hasn't said whether he would or would not replace it because I haven't asked him yet. I first wanted to see if it was something that could be fixed via flushing etc. The seller has been real good about sending me what I need in a timeley manner... if needed this will be the first return, we'll se how that goes.

One more thing, I just looked at the same artwork on another computer and they do not look that much different. If the cyan nozzle isn't a show stopper then it must be in my color profiles.

I will post pics later of the on screen artwork and the RGB & CYAN prints I'm getting.

Thanks again,
Mark

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I assume you are using DTG RIP Pro. If so, have you tried the color profiles ColormatchRGB (for RGB) and Default (for CMYK)?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I have tried them.

What I am going to do today is not print from PS or X5... instead I am going to open the artwork in Rip Pro (version 4) and print from there. I will try it using the the rip defaults and then move on to other profiles in the RIP.

If I get a good print i will just print from there. I have noticed that I get a lot better quality prints from PS than X5 and if printing right from the rip is as good as the PS quality, I will just print from the RIP.

Screen dump attached of image I'm printing. The blues and blacks of the shark change drastically when printed in either CMYK or RGB, the yellows come out more yellow/lime. I am no master of using color profiles, so I have to experiment.

Thanks,
Mark

BTW, did I mention that my wife is pissed at me for buying this machine that she calls our "money pit"... I have an established embroidery and screen printing customer base that I know would eat this stuff up if I could only get it right. Hey, if all goes well, I may even try white ink again.... hmmmm, nah, then she'd divorce me for sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
... Currentely, the colors on my monitor are not matching the colors being printed.

If the cyan nozzle check is unacceptable and affecting my printed colors then I will pull it, back flush it etc. (I have already run many cleaning solution cycles as well as let it sit overnight with cleaning solution in the capping station). If it shouldn't affect the printed colors then I will spend my time trying to calibrate my new monitor.

Is the cyan nozzle check acceptable?

Thanks,
Mark
The minor "offset" on the nozzle check is from minor build up inside that nozzle causing it to deflect slightly in a different direction.

My magenta channel has had this problem.

The only ramification I have had, is it caused very slight "banding" where colors in the print that are really red can have tinny horizontal lines in the print.

On my machine I found that soaking a paper towel in cleaning fluid, and gently holding it to the face of the print head for a few minutes, followed by head cleans helped clear it up (somewhat)

It has not completely been perfect, nor has it caused any real problems. Just annoying when you are a perfectionist.

Unfortunately, no-one gives any support to "ink parts" even if there is a problem from the start...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Mark,
I see you have the dreaded Blue in your artwork.

Yes your cyan deflection is a problem but will likely cause some type of blur or ghosting not the color shift.

To be honest, we have never really been able to print many designs with blue "out of the box". On the Kiosk for some reason, blues usually print purple or they are severely over saturated. The closer to Cyan you go to Blue is where you see the problem.

What I usually do is within photoshop, select Image->Adjustments->Hue Saturation, select Blue and slide it from Blue to the Green direction so it's anywhere from -10% to -20%. If you do a -15% on the Hue, you are usually 'close enough' to not have to readjust it.

And similarly with Gray on the Kiosk, it tends to print Blue so we adjust the Hue on that as well.

Hope this helps you eliminate test prints so you can keep some more $$ in your pocket.

Also as Jerid pointed out, make sure you go into Photoshop and Assign a profile -> ColorMatch RGB that way when you use the ColorMatch RGB profile in Rip Pro everything will be more likely to match.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts