T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to make some custom shirts, but I'm very ignorant when it comes to the science of heat transfer.

1. I have no clue where to buy heat transfer sheets.

2. I have no clue which heat transfer sheets to use. (I've read a little here, and came across things like ironall, jet something, opaque and I somewhat grasp that there is some form of difference between light & dark)

3. I've heard that you must use brand new cotton shirts (from elsewhere)

4. If I was only making like 8-10 shirts, would I just be better off doing it at a local store that does it? ($20 per t-shirt)

5. How much does a commercial heat press cost lol? (I'm curious, I know it probably wouldn't be economically reasonable for me to buy one)

6. Is it more difficult ironing heat transfers onto sweatshirts, and golf shirts than plain t-shirts? (I might do a baseball cap too, depending on advice)

7. Which tends to turn out better? lights or darks?

8. I have a deskjet printer and a laserjet printer, which turns out better an inkjet printer or a laser printer?

Thanks in advance to any tshirt gurus.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
1. Check the suppliers at left. Many of them sell transfer paper.
2. Iron All is one of the major papers for dark shirts.
3. Inkjet transfer will work on any cotton, polyester or blend fabric.
4. You can do iron-on transfers for about $1.50 including paper and ink.
5. The hobby presses can be found for $200 or so. That's 10 shirts at your local printer. Sounds like he is doing DTG.
6. Transfers will work on any fabric material. The results may vary but it can be done.
7. White or pastel colors with the light transfers. The dark shirt transfers use a heavy film to cover the color of the shirt.
8. Which is better is a matter of personal preference. Each uses a different paper, though. I would start with inkjet.
God Bless.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well thanks,

I think I'm going to use the inkjet transfer.

Does anyone have any recommendation on the best place to get them?

·
Registered
142 Posts
A couple of the preferred vendors (left column) have special offers for forum members on JetPro (JPSS). Click the little gold star to find out how to get those prices. (Shh--mentioning prices in public is uncool.)

If you don't have a commercial press yet, I'd suggest you go with Everlast (aka Iron-All, IYA) since you can get away with using a home iron and it's also (IMHO) THE best stuff, even better than JPSS. It costs more, though. Coastal sells Everlast, and it's on sale because they appear to be discontinuing it. (If I type any more on that topic, I might slit my wrists, that's how much I love Everlast.)

JetPro is definitely excellent, too, though. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
is pressing shirts a real alternative for companies? is it cost effective next to screen printing?

·
Registered
194 Posts
my friend you have to do :) a research job:) there is many formats to do t shirt ....:)

1.how much you can invest $$$$
2.printers
3.what type of ink you want to use(inkjet..sublimation).
4.software
5.what type of hand you want on your transfers(soft.plastic feel)

most important thing to do is read from the pro's we have in here:):D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts