T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
where to start?:confused:

I jumped on to the forums excited to start my new tshirt venture. took all the advice i could, went and bought a mighty press, C88, JPSS, refillable inks, web site designed, url and domain purchased, etc....

things are not working out. :(

From cracking prints, :mad: to countless shirts wasted, to lack of support and this failing economy which has drained my budget.

I dont want to give up yet though. The concept is wonderful. its not right now, its soon to be. timing for the concept is perfect but timing in my life is not.

I want a fulfillment site but dont want to only see 10% of profit.

I have the art but I need some one to press and sell.

or... someone to partner up.

any ideas?

(this was going to be one of the welcome photos)
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l292/coachmm250/Home1.jpg

· Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Re: Not ready to give up.

Mike, I can talk about the cracking prints with you. Try to take a look at that issue, and see if there is something that can be done to try to resolve that issue.

What is your method of pressing? Cold peel, hot peel, are you removing moisture prior to pressing, any stretching happening?

Once you let us know what's going on with that... we can see if there is something that can be changed to help. Sometimes it's a little tweaking that is needed, that's all.

Here is a post on heat pressing, step by step, with the *why's* added. Please read this, see if anything you do is different from that.

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/inkjet-heat-transfer-paper/t39007.html#post229735

A cold peel done a certain way will crack, and sometimes it seems, not stretching a JPSS when it is hot peeled, and repressing it can cause cracks. Where are you at with the process?

The rest, I don't know, it's a tough time out there for most folks. I figure if I can help you solve the cracking issue, it's a good day. :)

· Registered
231 Posts

You may want to take a step back and reformulate your business plan. It sounds like you are severely undercapitalized. I meet tons of designers that have great ideas but don't have the capital to properly fund that idea. Many have no clue as to what it truly takes to make a clothing line go.

John

· Registered
387 Posts

I think the best way to start is to start small (unless you have an unlimited budget - which, by the sound of things, you don't). This way, you don't have to spend your entire budget at once. You can learn as you go, and adapt at the same time, spending money only when it is needed (for a new concept/design/style/idea etc). And possibly making some of the money back at the same time, while you're still growing.

Something like this -

1) Buy a few blanks - but not just any blanks. Make sure you get the exact size/style/cut you're looking for, and if it's not just right, keep trying until you find EXACTLY what you're looking for. You don't want to come off as a cheap brand that prints on the first thing they came across.

2) Work a deal with a printer to print a small quantity at a slightly discounted price, instead of printing hundreds of shirts on a whim that may completely flop. Pick only your best designs to start with - the ones that you have the most confidence in.

3) Distribute these shirts as samples of your brand to local retail shops, and feature them in your online store. Make sure you market yourself as an up-and-coming brand. If the shirts are a hit - continue to build your brand and distribute more and more shirts. If not, start over with new designs, and try again.

4) It never hurts to give a few shirts away as promotional items! People love free stuff, and it's a good way to get your brand out there.

5) Continue to work hard. When a few smaller shops carry your brand and see that it is selling, they'll want to come back to you for continued business. This will also get larger shops interested in your clothing, for even more business.

Of course it's all easier said than done - but nobody ever succeeded without ever trying! Best of luck to you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.