Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not promoting; seeking advice

Hey screen printing community!
My fiancé Cameron, and myself; Mandy, have finally gotten our business off the ground, and have a website published, and a couple events coming up for pop-up markets. Currently, we have done a couple business related orders and a gas station bought around 8 lines of our personal creations.

I have come to a stale mate. I haven't really seen my website gain much traffic. I'm not sure on my web design or SEO compatibility. I believe my pictures are good, descriptions are fun, and the About Us page really connects the customer to us. I also got a 100$ advertising credit on Google Ads for registering my business with Google. Most of those clicks are coming from Youtube, but I'm not sure how they correlate their ads to what website/channel they end up being featured on, so I'll just leave it up to Google-magic.

I have never done any form of web design or have any experience with creating internet stuffs. I'm not here to promote my brand; I fully understand we are all screen printers and we are all gifted enough to make the same EXACT shirt I have up for sale for a much cheaper price.

That being said, no matter your experience level (I am self-taught due to a lot of researching, videos, hours upon hours of trial and error, and swapping out different equipment for better quality, etc.) if you are still arguing with getting your formulas (how long to expose, coating screens too heavily, or not realizing humidity has a HUGE role in the whole debacle, etc) to work, THERE IS HOPE!

I literally went from working retail (assistant store manager of Walmart for 6 years) to learning this trade strictly with my computer/cell phone. I have so many notebooks (and some that are in the trash lol) filled to the brim on different tips/tricks, how to's, FAQ's, etc on screen printing. On the surface, it looks so easy, but props to everyone who has taken the time to figure it out and hasn't completely given up lol, I know I wanted to throw my manual screen press or exposure unit thru the wall a couple times, but I wasn't strong enough (I'm 4ft 11inches, and weigh 85lbs soaking wet lol) haha.

So forreal, dont give up! The feeling you get when you lift the screen after your final print stroke, and you see your design in real life in front of you; it is completely breathtaking.
If anyone has a minute, please let me know some constructive criticism on the website, 2 heads (or as many as I can get involved) is better than one. I'm a techno-tard and I will be the first to admit it, so please feel free to call me out on ANYTHING you see.

Thank you again, and if there is anything I can do to help your brand in return, I will. Thank you!
Mandy, Sixt33n
www.sixt33n.com

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Hi, welcome aboard.

It seems all the wordpress/woocommerce (and so forth) templates load to a Home page that is in my opinion useless. It makes it look like you only have two shirts. Better for the customer to land on a page full of your designs. Should be easy enough to do regardless of what template/platform you are using.

That said, good luck driving traffic to your own site. Advertising is a skill, one I've never mastered to my satisfaction.

You might consider opening an Etsy shop (and eBay and Amazon Handmade). It is easier to put yourself where people go to buy than it is to get them to come to you.

The Cash design printed on the dark shirts needs to have the foreground and background colors inversed, else Johnny looks like a negative. Faces are one of those things that look wrong when inversed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was using the homepage to promote a couple of shirts, but there is easy navigation to click to land on the page that's got the products. I have a drop down for women's lines and men's lines. I didn't assume that would be difficult navigation. I would rather not have 12 products on the front home page and nothing new on the product listing page, it would make the product listing page pointless.
I haven't had any issues selling Cash in person, I'm more asking for specifics on the website. I get the design of website is basic, but that's for a reason- I don't want a bunch of clutter dispersed to take up space. Does anyone have any advice other than the design is basic, its supposed to be a streamlined theme.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
On the surface, it looks so easy, but props to everyone who has taken the time to figure it out and hasn't completely given up lol, I know I wanted to throw my manual screen press or exposure unit thru the wall a couple times
You will eventually realize that printing is the easiest part.

I'm not sure on my web design or SEO compatibility.
Forget the SEO nonsense people are talking about. There is no magic way.
As long as your website is crawlable and your site has the correct formatting and tags, your on-site SEO is done.

What you really need is quality content, time, and pay commission.
Websites are not ranking high because of some "magic of SEO"... They do because of the amount of useful content they have (AKA quality content).
For a T-shirt website, I'd say you need at least 400 good designs (they have to be good), 12 months of maturity, and pay 15 -20% commission per sale.
It can be done with just 50 designs as well, but the chances of success will be immensely lower.
Let other people do the off-site SEO for you, and earn commission for their work.
This is the way. Everything else is a waste of time.

I believe my pictures are good, descriptions are fun, and the About Us page really connects the customer to us.
I'm sorry, but your photos look like feedback photos people post on Amazon, and that's obviously not good enough.
Good photos need good lighting. Take your photos outside and let nature take care of the light.

Overall, the website needs a lot more content and illustration work. The times when a basic website was good enough are gone.
Creating a slick website is really easy, and does not cost much.

I also got a 100$ advertising credit on Google Ads for registering my business with Google. Most of those clicks are coming from Youtube, but I'm not sure how they correlate their ads to what website/channel they end up being featured on, so I'll just leave it up to Google-magic.
Don't rush... No point wasting money when you are not ready.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I get the design of website is basic, but that's for a reason- I don't want a bunch of clutter dispersed to take up space.
That's great for the category pages (women's, men's, etc).
The front page should be eye-catching with illustrations of your best sellers etc.
Search engines and referral links are unlikely to bring people to your front page. Most traffic will go to the individual product pages.

I would rather not have 12 products on the front home page and nothing new on the product listing page, it would make the product listing page pointless.
If you only have 12 products (or even 100), you don't need category pages.
Single page websites are perfect for such use, and are also easy to navigate (just scroll down).
Products can still be grouped by category and displayed in a section of the page, and the products themselves can still have their own page.
You can still have navigation links to each category (section of the page). All you need is the section ID in home page URL.
Here is an example link to the slider section of your front page: Sixt33n Clothing
I cannot remember is shopify has the option to assign a custom ID to each section, but I bet it does.
The ID I used above is the automatically assigned one and it's ugly. Using a custom ID (ie #Mens or #Womens) is obviously much better.
Shopify is waste of money by the way... An aggressively marketed but completely useless service (for me at least).

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I was using the homepage to promote a couple of shirts, but there is easy navigation to click to land on the page that's got the products. I have a drop down for women's lines and men's lines. I didn't assume that would be difficult navigation. I would rather not have 12 products on the front home page and nothing new on the product listing page, it would make the product listing page pointless.
I haven't had any issues selling Cash in person, I'm more asking for specifics on the website. I get the design of website is basic, but that's for a reason- I don't want a bunch of clutter dispersed to take up space. Does anyone have any advice other than the design is basic, its supposed to be a streamlined theme.
As Tabob mentioned, people getting to your site via a Google search, or the like, will be following a link to a design/product related to what they searched for. This will account for most of your traffic. Those landing on your Home page will most likely be following the URL from your business card or simply typing your brand/company name into a browser or search. In other words, these people already know you exist, what you are about, and where to find you.

If your content is clearly focused around some sort of theme that a sub group of society cares about, you might develop a good and loyal following with fewer designs than Tabob suggests. But that depends upon strongly resonating with this target group. Else, as he suggested, it is likely to take quite a few designs (bait in the water) to get the bites needed.

You can occasionally get a short-term boost with some currently relevant design/topic, often political. But those things have expiration dates.

As you say, selling in person is different than online. Basically if people aren't already actively searching for something online, there isn't a great way to sell it to them.

Like me, at the end of the day I'm sure you are doing this for reasons that go beyond making $, but likely making some $ is required in order for this to be a practical pursuit. Point being, I'm sure you have no interest in selling the same stuff everyone else does just to make a $. The intersection of what you've got to draw upon and what people want ... that can take a while to sort out. The more stuff you throw at the wall, the sooner you'll get there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.