T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm Fred from Melbourne FL, USMC Retired (1978).

Been printing heat transfers since 1987 (sublimation) and pigmented heat transfers since 1996. Also had a Roland 12" printer/cutter (got rid of it and went with the Roland GX24. Upgraded to the Roland GS24 (best thing I ever did).

As I am not a designer, my artwork consists of old car ads, railroad logos and other miscellaneous designs and I sell mainly the printed products on Ebay and my RR website.

In 1994 started teaching others how to do sublimation, 2000 pigmented heat transfers and in 2010 how to use the various Roland printer/cutters. With the advent of You Tube I stopped teaching and offering the video DVD's.

My product line is t-shirts of course, both pigmented heat transfers and full color on dark shirts using the heat transfer vinyl for sublimation. Also full color stickers (print and cut) on the GS24, wall signs, wall clocks, etc..

The technology has changed since 1987 and the products available are overwhelming but I try to stay with the basics and what I like to print.

I am more than glad to offer what little I've learned these past 35 years and I'll browse some posts to see if I can be of any help.

I appreciate the opportunity to rejoining the forum and hope I can be of some help.

Thank you,

Fred
Melbourne FL
USMC Retired

Registered
Hi, welcome back :cool:

I remember you, or at least reading some of your posts along the way.

I've been screen printing, as well as doing a few JPSS transfers along the way. Started doing sublimation mugs over the winter, and am now doing some sublimation shirts.

I just recently tried EasySubli. Is that the sub vinyl you use? It prints nice, but not sure I can deal with that handfeel 馃槓

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I'm glad to be back.

I use the Easy Subli and yes, you do have a heavy hand but I'll tell you, the vinyl is superb and after at least 25 washings colors have not faded, no edges peeling or lifting up. Really good stuff. I wash the shirts with my dungarees and dry them in the dryer with no turning the shirts inside out.

To do it, I contour cut the vinyl on the GS24 then using the GS24 actually print using the Ricoh SG3110 with registration marks. Mirror image. Let is dry, contour cut and tack the vinyl to the shirt and eyeball the sub transfer on top.

I just ordered a sample of pigmented ink heat transfer vinyl (for my Epson WF-7210 ) using heavily pigmented inks. Vinyl is for use on dark shirts, just an experiment to see how easy it is to use, washing, fading, etc...

Technology has come a long way since 1987 and it's pretty much fun learning.

Fred
Melbourne FL
USMC Retired

Registered
Yeah, I did the EasySubli the two-step way, as well. Enough people mention smearing issues when printing direct, that I didn't even bother with that. Good to hear it holds up well. I haven't run it through many wash cycles yet.

7210 is what I was using for JPSS pigment prints; have since switched it to sublimation. Have you ever tried JPSS with sub ink? That's one of my science projects at the moment. Looks good after the first wash, but I've yet to torture test it beyond that. I'm using 40% poly shirts, but obviously am counting on the JPSS to hold onto more of the sub ink than the shirt would on its own. Trying to avoid higher poly content shirts as well as the need for yet another printer. Time will tell.

Registered
Welcome Back!

Registered
Hi,

I'm Fred from Melbourne FL, USMC Retired (1978).

Been printing heat transfers since 1987 (sublimation) and pigmented heat transfers since 1996. Also had a Roland 12" printer/cutter (got rid of it and went with the Roland GX24. Upgraded to the Roland GS24 (best thing I ever did).

As I am not a designer, my artwork consists of old car ads, railroad logos and other miscellaneous designs and I sell mainly the printed products on Ebay and my RR website.

In 1994 started teaching others how to do sublimation, 2000 pigmented heat transfers and in 2010 how to use the various Roland printer/cutters. With the advent of You Tube I stopped teaching and offering the video DVD's.

My product line is t-shirts of course, both pigmented heat transfers and full color on dark shirts using the heat transfer vinyl for sublimation. Also full color stickers (print and cut) on the GS24, wall signs, wall clocks, etc..

The technology has changed since 1987 and the products available are overwhelming but I try to stay with the basics and what I like to print.

I am more than glad to offer what little I've learned these past 35 years and I'll browse some posts to see if I can be of any help.

I appreciate the opportunity to rejoining the forum and hope I can be of some help.

Thank you,

Fred
Melbourne FL
USMC Retired
Welcome back! Also, thank you for your service to our country.

Also, you mentioned being available for help, I'm actually in Saint Cloud, I'd be interested in getting some hands on lessons. I'm looking to learn and I don't know many people in the area doing this work. I heat press shirts vinyl and plastisol screens.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome back! Also, thank you for your service to our country.

Also, you mentioned being available for help, I'm actually in Saint Cloud, I'd be interested in getting some hands on lessons. I'm looking to learn and I don't know many people in the area doing this work. I heat press shirts vinyl and plastisol screens.
Hi St . Cloud,

I made DVD's on how to heat press t-shirts, caps, metal signs, aprons, etc.. using sublimation ink. Even had a small online school but since You Tube came around decided to drop both the online school and the DVD's. Even made a really good one for the Roland but dropped that one also. Also had one for using pigmented inks (not sublimations).

I am tinkering with the heat transfer vinyl with great results, sublimation ink heat transfers onto heat transfer vinyl for dark shirts and also have great results. Stopped using plastisol transfers in the mid 80's as pigmented I can now print them myself. My artwork is cars, gas, oil, trucks, railroad, etc... and I do not custom print here locally.

I can hook you up to my older online videos (c.1997). Frames are small but the process is exactly the same then as it is now. If you can, message me somehow and I'll give you the link.

You are always welcome to contact me directly at [email protected] for any questions you may have.

Looking forward..

Fred

1 - 8 of 8 Posts