T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received two custom DTG shirts I ordered from Spreadshirt and I was disappointed to see a white underbase boxed around my design.

My design is essential a stylized typographical logo and I had it printed on white shirts. It ends up looking cheap/shoddy when you can notice a white box all around the logo. It is especially apparent on the Bella shirt, which is thin enough to be see through, that the box exists. Had I known this would be the result I would have done heat transfers myself.

Is this a limitation of the DTG process or did Spreadshirt do sloppy work? I've seen movies of the DTG machines printing white underbase, but it always appears to be directly 1:1 under the design (not a surrounding box of the design).

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
My design is essential a stylized typographical logo and I had it printed on white shirts. It ends up looking cheap/shoddy when you can notice a white box all around the logo. It is especially apparent on the Bella shirt, which is thin enough to be see through, that the box exists. Had I known this would be the result I would have done heat transfers myself.
Are you positive that the shirts were dtg printed? I ask this because the majority of dtg users will not print white ink on a white shirt. How much of a white box is the around the logo? Do you think it is pretreat fluid?

I have no clue how the garment was decorated so that is why I asked. How did Spreadshirt tell you they decorated it? Can you post a picture of the shirt with a closeup of the white box?

I can tell you that most dtg printers will print a white shirt and you will not see a box around the artwork. I would suggest trying another dtg company.

Mark

·
Registered
77 Posts
What kind of file did you provide them with? Was it a .png or .psd with a transparent background, or was it a .jpeg that had a white "base" around the image?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spreadsheet told me my order was going to be "Digital Direct" which I would think only means DTG. Whether or not it was actually DTG in the end, I'm not sure.

Its a large area of white around the logo. Its not exactly a box of white either. It takes a very loose shape of the logo which makes it more apparent and seem like a cut iron-on (exactly what I was trying to avoid by going DTG).

Unfortunately its a Christmas gift and I feel a bit embarrassed giving it at the moment.

You can see in my poor quality image attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is an example of what Kevin is saying.

Help | Spreadshirt

If this wasn't the problem, then I'm not sure what happened.

Edit: Oops. We posted at the same time. I didn't see the photo. Like you confirm below, that wasn't the problem. I'm surprised that passed their quality control, unless it took longer to dry like that or something. They should definitely re-make those, but sorry, I don't know the cause of it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It doesn't appear like discoloration when you're looking at it in person. It feels stiffer than the rest of the shirt and blocks light from coming through better than the rest of the shirt. That would indicate to me that ink filled the "pores" of the shirt in that area.

I'm looking to see if I can't find a local DTG printer that can fill an emergency order before Christmas to replace these shirts. Is it reasonable to turn around a DTG shirt in one day?

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
That is not a direct to garment print. There would be absolutely no purpose in printing white and the clear hard edges shows it's from the paper transfer. It simply looks like they took scissors to the paper to cut around the image. I'm assuming you wanted the image in reverse??

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
My gut reaction is that does not look like a typically pretreat stain. I state this because the line where the stain is very distinctive and looks like an edge that was cut. Most pretreat stains are visible along the edge of the heat press and would not be as distinctive of an edge.

Wonder if they did it as a digital transfer. They do offer both of them - Help | Spreadshirt.

Just my opinion based off the limited information provided. I will state that the majority of dtg owners that I know would not use white ink on the artwork visible in the picture you have posted. Some would use a light garment pretreatment, but I have never seen a pretreat stain look like that.

Where are you located? Maybe you can find a local dtg shop that can get you a printed garment in a short turn around time for Christmas.

Best wishes,

Mark

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
That is not a direct to garment print. There would be absolutely no purpose in printing white and the clear hard edges shows it's from the paper transfer. It simply looks like they took scissors to the paper to cut around the image.
I agree with Jerid.

Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well thats extremely frustrating.

My order specifically says "Digital Direct". I had also read, prior to ordering, that Spreadshirt no longer used transfers.

Now I'm down to the wire on this one. I'm hoping a local DTG shop can come through for me.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have ran into this problem in the past using pretreatment on light green shirts. The image ended up with what appeared to be a box around it. It was a single color design with a transparent background. The heat press left a perfect square around the print where the pretreatment was applied.

Good Luck getting the shirts done on such a late notice. I could print them for you tonight but even with overnight shipping you would not get them in time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good Luck getting the shirts done on such a late notice. I could print them for you tonight but even with overnight shipping you would not get them in time.
Its going to be a minor Christmas miracle if I can get a new one in time. Come on Old Saint Nick!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts