T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short, I've been selling some shirts as print on demand/pre-order online for a couple of years as a hobby(not a lot, just some okay side income since I've been dealing with a medical condition for that last 2 1/2 years that still limits me a bit) and want to try to grow the business we have(still online) with my partner(he's the main printer, I'll help out sometimes on small prints but I'm handling buying, customers, paperwork, organization etc.). We are/will be working from home and will hopefully move to a bigger space once we get more established. We are in SLC and are using a simple 4 color manual press and some diy larger presses for posters if that matters.

My main question is what licensing does our business need(if any) as well as what permits and what did you register your business under?

For the business we have filed as an LLC partnership under "NAICS Code: 9999 NAICS Title: 9999-Nonclassifiable Establishment" as I see many local printing companies are registered under this, but not all of them... Will this be problematic in some way or does it not really matter? I just obtained my EIN number and I'm trying to figure what I need to do as far as permits go, I know I would need a seller/reseller permit. I called everywhere today and kept getting thrown around with representatives saying they don't license screen printing and eventually somehow got the number to a CHURCH on a slc/gov's Business Licensing Contact page!? Is there something I'm missing?

Also, do I have to worry about zoning? Or would doing that attract unwanted/unnecessary attention to us? Especially being that we have a small setup and low sales we do online? We are currently renting and about to move soon. I just hear that some states are very strict about this and our current landlord(slumlord) is likely not down to sign anything or help us out in any way as she's always a problem when trying to work with her.

We also just tried to open a bank account under our business name but got rejected due to my partner's credit... So I'm a bit worried about how this is going.

What do I do if these things or something else is an issue? Do I have to stop my business(hobby that we are still running, as we thought it wouldn't be such a problem to get everything together) put everything on hold and withdraw my business registration? How would I do that? I'm a bit worried we registered too soon but at the same time I've been hearing all these horror stories about fines/fees for not being an official business. I'm just trying my best here to be legit but I'm not getting any answers from the people who should be able to help me. Please help...

Thanks for listening to me go on... Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated, especially if you've been through anything similar or registered your screen printing business in Utah as well.

-Sarah

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would actually look into remaking your business more attractive. Another great idea is to make an app or your own website. You could easily choose the company with the best ratings and reviews on Google. That is exactly what I did back when I started developing my first website. However, that company was having some ... incredibly big price tags, that is exactly why, when I had to call for some services in web development, I was looking for a cheaper company. The company that I'm working with right now, IT managed services | Technology consulting for startups | DIGIS is having probably the best services if we talk about the price per quality ratio.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.