T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, so i just recently graduated high school and am looking for something to do to make money while I'm college.

I just realized that Heat pressing shirts would be a big hit where I live.

In my town, there is 3 high schools with 1200+ kids. I played varsity basketball for a few years so I am pretty well known around the high Schools here. If there is a time to start doing this, it is now, because i am fresh on the minds still of many of these High School kids because i just graduated, so selling my product to the perfect target group to start off my business is very easy. I could sell these shirts fast guaranteed and make more then I would at any other job i could get. Plus i would be working for myself which is always nice haha.

I convinced myself that i am now going to buy a heat presser and start doing this. I live in my parents house still while i attend the Community College here and they would have no problem with me running a little business through my room.

Alright, so now that you've read that, here is why I am here..

I am mainly looking for the best heat presser that is the most durable, accurate and high image quality, and from a website that has good warranty that comes with them. (From my understanding. heat presses may break easy?)

I am currently looking at the Hix Presto 20 Heat Presser, which can be seen right here- https://www.coastalbusiness.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=33974
Is this any good? any experiences with it?

The other one I am looking at is the "Geo Night"
http://www.coastalbusiness.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=714
Anybody with experiences with this one?

And finally the last one I am looking at is the Hytronix.
http://www.coastalbusiness.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=61321
Feedback on this one?

I dont really have a budget at this point (Well, i have about $1200 saved up but i can easily borrow another $1000+ from my parents)

Of course I am also looking for a good product where the design you press on doesn't fall off quickly, or at all.

My main reasons for deciding upon a Heat Press is going to be this-
1. Durabilty
2. Accuracy on presses
3. Warranty
4. And lastly.. price

I also have many other questions, so i might as well list them right here, no need to start another thread for that. I do not really know much if anything about heat pressing so please be nice haha.

1. Is it possible to copy images like this one onto a shirt? If I was to how would it turn out? ( Like how would the quality be? Would it come out exactly like the image shown?, Does that all depend on the level of transfer paper you choose?)

2. Would it even be legal to press the above image onto a shirt? (Copy Write Laws?)
3. How long will the press stay on the shirt? (Even after you wash it multiple times?)
4. What type of printer is the absolute best for printing out spot-on transfer papers?
5. Is it possible to print out the transfer paper from my house printer?, assuming its a new one? (My dad just bought a brand new printer a few months ago, i cant recall the name to it right now however)
6. Can someone explain to me the difference of plastisol transfer paper and Sublimation heat transfer paper? I am only heat pressing to put high detail designs onto T-shirts, so if someone could explain which one i would need would be awesome. Yes I read about them but I still don't understand.

These last questions are important because they will determine how much money i will spend/make.

7.. How much does the transfer paper with the highest level of image quality cost? (15X20)
8. How much does the average transfer paper that the normal person get cost? In other words, what kind of transfer paper do you use, and how much does it cost?
(Is transfer paper even the right term used for the paper you print your images out on?)
BTW, I only need transfer paper that is just going to be used for T-shirts of all color. Nothing else.

Wow, that was a long post.
Thanks a lot for reading all of this and I hope you can answer as many questions as you can. Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Your budget will be close, you should have enough depending on what type of transfer you pick. Read up on the difference in transfers, plastisol or sub, could be in that price range.

For a press I always recommend the mighty press. A 15x15 should be under $700. I still use mine over some more expensive units. You are on the right track with the equip, your looking at all quality units.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your budget will be close, you should have enough depending on what type of transfer you pick. Read up on the difference in transfers, plastisol or sub, could be in that price range.

For a press I always recommend the mighty press. A 15x15 should be under $700. I still use mine over some more expensive units. You are on the right track with the equip, your looking at all quality units.

Hey thanks for your reply! I have heard good things about the mighty press you suggested. However, I really want a press that can go roughly 5 inches longer so I can press a design on the whole shirt. (I.E. 15X20).

Anybody else with any info for me!?!

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
We always recommend the 16x20 Mighty Press if the customer can swing the extra $200. Sooner or later, almost everyone who buys a 15x15 wants to upgrade to the bigger machine. All the machines from the major manufacturers will provide durability and a good warranty. To answer some of your other questions:
1. Yes, it is possible to copy any image and get excellent results with transfer paper such as ClearSoft.
2.It's not illegal to press the design on to a shirt but it might not be legal to sell it if it is a personality and/or displays a copyright or trademarked logo, etc.
3. The design may outlast the shirt if you use the quality paper and high quality inks.
4. Most people in the know on this forum recommend an Epson printer.
5. Probably.
6.Plastisol is an ink that is used mostly when printing high volume and requires screen printing capabilities. Sublimation ink can only be applied to synthetic fabrics for the best results. The detail is in your artwork. The paper will allow you to print your artwork onto a garment. What you print on the paper will look the same on a shirt.
7. The paper is available in two sizes, 8 1/2 x 11 and 11x17. Transfer paper is available for application to light shirts and another paper for dark shirts. Depending on the size and the amount you purchase it can run anywhere from $.50-$4.00 per sheet. I'm sure that someone who reads your post has the figures on ink consumption.
In a nutshell, producing the product is relatively easy and inexpensive. The difficult part is in the marketing so you can sell enough shirts at a reasonable profit to meet, or exceed, your financial goals. I wish you success.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.