T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a Non PVC ink that is not water based? I have an infared dryer which doesn't seem to cure water based ink very well.
I tryed NazDar GenIV inks but they had no shelf life...this was 6 months ago..they may have fixed that. Thanks

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
When I took a serigraphy class in college, along with one screen and one squeegie, we were given a gallon of "transparent base" which was the consistency of petroleum jelly but not as stringy. About the same color, too, but a little browner. Anyway, I used to just squeeze some artists oil colors into the base to make whatever color I wanted. One day I was wearing a yellow tee, and took it off to print on it in black ink the graphic I happened to have on my screen. Let it air dry, and wore that shirt for years. I still have it (almost 40 years later) and, while the image has faded some, it's still there and the shirt material itself is full of holes. I don't remember it as being stiff from the ink when it was new, and I can't say that the same "transparent base" that's available from Nazdar in their line of inks meant for flatstock printing is the same, but who knows? How environmentally-friendly it is (was) I can't say. I know I cleaned my screen back then with mineral spirits, which I don't use now. Can't say how well a solvent-based ink meant for printing posters would hold up on a shirt that got washed periodically either. What would be nice is if someone could come up with a workable UV curing unit to retrofit to regular IR conveyor dryers that didn't cost an arm and a leg.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts