T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, forum,

By default Polyprint has pressurized ink cartridges. Since I need to replace the ink cartridges, I was wondering what if I replace it with non-pressurized ink cartridges? Is there any risk?

The cartridge is 160ml

· Registered
197 Posts
Hello,

I don't know if there is even a possibilty to turn the printer on with such cartridges (probably you will get the error code that tells that there are no cartridges installed).

Even if you'll be able to turn it on, it's risky due to high density of DTG inks. Epson 3880 is made for printing photos on paper. Not for t-shirts.

I use original cartridges, original, fresh, properly agitated inks and I still have problems with those printers :D

· Registered
197 Posts
Epson 3880 (which is the base of all TexJets expect Shortee model - made of P600 if I remember correctly) original ink (that you use to print photos on paper) is water based and don't clog at all. You don't need to wet cap the printhead or do all this annoying maintenace. Just push the cleaning button and there you are. You can leave the printer idle for days or months. Even if your printhead is clogged I think there is a much bigger chance to restore it than when using DTG inks.

DTG inks (CMYK) are also water-based but it's totally different chemistry and physics. By more dense I mean more solid. They're made this way because everyone would like to achieve great prints and great washability on shirts etc. White ink is made of TiO2 which makes it the hardest ink to maintain.

We are all jeting the solid, dense inks which tends to clog with modified desktop printers. I mean that's the way how it works on almost all DTG printers on the market. Expectation is: Epson F2000/F2100 (which are also very problematic from what I see), Kornit, Aeoon (but the last two are also not-trouble free and are rather industrial machines than printer for a small shop or hobbyst).

I dream about the day when you can just turn printer on, print some tees, then simply turn it off and go home without a fear :D

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Epson 3880 (which is the base of all TexJets expect Shortee model - made of P600 if I remember correctly) original ink (that you use to print photos on paper) is water based and don't clog at all. You don't need to wet cap the printhead or do all this annoying maintenace. Just push the cleaning button and there you are. You can leave the printer idle for days or months. Even if your printhead is clogged I think there is a much bigger chance to restore it than when using DTG inks.

DTG inks (CMYK) are also water-based but it's totally different chemistry and physics. By more dense I mean more solid. They're made this way because everyone would like to achieve great prints and great washability on shirts etc. White ink is made of TiO2 which makes it the hardest ink to maintain.

We are all jeting the solid, dense inks which tends to clog with modified desktop printers. I mean that's the way how it works on almost all DTG printers on the market. Expectation is: Epson F2000/F2100 (which are also very problematic from what I see), Kornit, Aeoon (but the last two are also not-trouble free and are rather industrial machines than printer for a small shop or hobbyst).

I dream about the day when you can just turn printer on, print some tees, then simply turn it off and go home without a fear :D
Well said. I have he same dream :D
I am aware of how the printers are made and the ink chemestry, im just wondering why the none-pressurized ink cartridge could fail or cause harm. Because no matter what cartridge you use the ink supply unit is filled 100% with ink.

· Registered
197 Posts
This machine needs to have a pressure to give a good flow of ink. On the left side of the printer you have a air pressure pump. It's there because of some reason.

Even the ink level in the cartridges is important (a little lower than max is where the printer works the best) so I bet you will just destroy yours if you'll use cartridges that you mentioned. But I may be wrong, that are just my thoughts. I am just a user with 4+ years of experience ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.