T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just wondering it anyone can confirm a question I have.

I have noticed that when moving the print head during cleaning before printing, it has become a bit more "clicky" and noisy, as it is moving against a small amount of friction when moved from left to right.

It feels worse when moved from left to right, as though it is moving over something.

I have checked the path of the wheels on the metal runners and they are all clear, so I narrowed it down to the toothed belt which drives the print head.

It appears to relate to the wheel hidden under the left side panel, as when I push it further out to the left (away from the capping station) it puts more tension on the belt, and the noise and feeling of friction reduces.

I also noticed a screw in that wheel housing that faces towards this wheel with a series of markings on the side of the housing around it, as though it is designed to be adjusted.

My only concern is that it appears to need to be adjusted more, beyond the markings that are there already.

Can anyone confirm if this is a normal procedure for removing any play / loose belt settings before I try and investigate further by taking the side panel off?

Or can anyone suggest another way to increase the belt tension as this seems to the solution to the noise.

Or is it time to replace the belt itself?

Thank you,

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How old this printer is? Capping station gears? Dusts between gears? Something is lose? Anything done rececently? Best wish.
Cheers! Ins are on me always.
Hi Peter,

The printer is about 1 year old now, and I just think the belt may need tightening or replacing, as it makes a kind of rattle when moving from left to right which stops when I put tension on the belt by pushing the white wheel inside the left side panel away from the direction of the capping station.

so in summary, the sound and motion seems to become better and smoother when I put my hand inside the left side of the printer, inside the left side panel and push the wheel to the left.

Does this sound like a solution which people identify with?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so I just took the side cover off, and tightened the screw that seems to adjust the tension on the toothed belt that drives the print head, and the noise seems to have gone!

I think it was just the slack that was causing the lever (the blue lock mechanism) on the print head carriage to rattle and make noise as it moved.

Having never had to adjust this before, I was just concerned about what it might be.

it just looks like as the machine is being used more and more, things that were tight, have become slightly loose and needed adjusting.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Similar problem!

When my carriage returns to the capping side of the printer, there's a loud click. This only happens when printing and I can't hear any click if I manually slide the carriage from side to side.

It sounds as if the carriage is clipping something!

Drive belt is not loose.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
that "click" you hear is the metal bracket that holds the belt wheel on the left side of the printer. by taking off the side panel, you can tighten the belt by moving the wheel away from the capping station. even a slight adjustment can help the sound to go away. i finally tightened mine because the sound just bothered me; it never seemed to affect any of my prints.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I sometimes have the clicking noise, so it sounds like it could be the sink.

I have tightened the belt, and as mentioned it did not seem to make any difference to the print quality, but it was the movement of the print head was getting more "lumpy" as time went on, which must have been due to the slack in the belt.

It feels great now, just like when it was delivered, which is how I like it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.