T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I never heard of American Apparel before until I joined this forum and read that some of you use them for your shirts. I thought they were just a t-shirt wholesaler since some of the threads I read on here were about wholesale pricing for their shirts.

Well today driving through Pacific Beach, San Diego I saw an American Apparel shop so I decided to go in. Well first let me say that all the girls working in the shop are hot and secondly the majority of thier stuff is blank and pretty pricey. Thier was alot of people in there shopping so I could tell that they were making a killing. I left wondering why people were paying up to 3 times as much for a blank t-shirt then a regular printed one. I guess it is the brand and the way they market thier clothes.

I found this on their site it's pretty interesting

http://www.americanapparel.net/gallery/abc2020/qt.html

·
Registered
81 Posts
Their blank shirt are really nice and its not that pricey when buy in wholesale. I wear quite a few when there are extras.....they are pretty comfy....:D

·
Registered
282 Posts
I believe ABC 20/20 did a news story on the founder in 2005. You might want to look up information online.

The founder/owner of American Apparel makes his shirts in the U.S.A. and pays fair wages to his employees and supposedly treats them well.

And they are in California, which is very expensive to do business in (workers comp, liability insurance, taxes, etc.).

He's a racy character and part of his retail marketing is hot chicks.

Anyone in the Los Angeles area will know that some
women are willing to pay a lot for whatever is considered in style.

Just quickly sharing what is coming to mind. By the way, I didn't know they sold wholesale blanks until I joined this forum. I only knew American Apparel by their retail store in Little Tokyo, Los Angeles.

Susan

·
Registered
243 Posts
They have "store only" shirts. You can't get these particular shirts wholesale at all. It's a popular band and I sell them, but a lot of people are starting to want what's in the store. If it's a "store only" model, the only way to get one is to buy it at the store.

Good for the retail store... but sucks for us.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The wholesale shirts are still a bit steeper then alot of other wholesale shirts. But the material is a better feel then other regular cotton shirts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Made in America... It costs alot to pay the american wages and benefits. You will also find a market that will only buy American Made when ever possible. Especially union folks and vets and patriots.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts