T-Shirt Forums banner

21 - 40 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
nothing i can add that hasn't already been said. some pretty harsh criticism in there. it needed to be said, i reckon.

i like the designs, though i've seen most of them before in one variation or another. my thing is, if you're going to sell designs every third website out there has (what am i missing about the honey badger shirts? why do so many sites have that?) then you should have hundreds of designs. your large 'funny t-shirt' sites have pages upon pages, albeit the designs start to duplicate into different colours of shirts ~ you could knock two or three pages off if you got rid of alternate coloured shirts. :)

as far as offering political commentary, i say offer both sides, which is most often the case, or just run with it and be the voice of your side. i guess my advice is, if you go down a particular path, follow it to see where it goes. as mentioned, putting a single shirt out there to put forth your opinion probably won't gain any supporters and is more likely to cost sales.

and i'll add that the price isn't right for me, either.

given that the site is otherwise tight, what i really want to see out of a site are designs that i haven't seen already in one form or another, at a price that sits well with me. and if it's a site that has re-hashed designs, at least let them be a lot to choose from. it's too much to have 400 totally original designs, but i'd rather have 20 originals than 9 pages of the same-old-same-old, ya know?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Agreed on the political tees. Include both sides or none at all. Same for religious.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
both sides, none at all, or go full tilt with it. putting a single one out there only alienates some customers, and, imo, it's a bad risk/reward scenario. fortunately, not everyone is so shallow as not to buy a shirt just b/c the seller has different beliefs. otherwise, people would never buy anything! now, if you say some proceeds will go towards some fund that i don't agree with, then, no, i won't buy the shirt.

then again, you should never underestimate how shallow people are or can be.

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
As you all can see, I have edited and moved several posts that included political opinions. Please keep those to yourselves and focus on what the OP is asking, opinions on the DESIGN of his website, not what you feel about politics as discussion about politics is against forum rules.

The reason for this is that everyone has their own views, whether they are liberal or conservative. These type of discussions take the topic completely off topic and can sometimes start a firestorm among members. So lets just stick to the question at hand, the design of the website itself.

Reactions: OSSKOBRET

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree that you need to define your target audience and make sure you're offering t-shirts that they're motivated to purchase. Your website is ok, but I wouldn't buy your shirts simply because I don't like them. I prefer stylish, fitted tees. I am not suggesting that's what you should offer. I am giving an example for knowing what audience to develop t-shirts for ...

You can also look for opportunities to hand out cards advertising your site at various events, and provide product samples/give-a-ways. For example, I provided a foundation shirts for their honoree's goodie bags.

·
Registered
34 Posts
hey, i've just had a look at your site. I like it but it seems very slow. i have a fast internet connection and i'm having trouble just scrolling up and down on your site. might be worth looking into. i've had similar problems when i've put an ebay advert up which includes pictures in the ad but the pictures are too big, it took forever to load the page.

·
Registered
9 Posts
selling tshirts on ebay may be good.
if you don't have a good marketing ability or lacks advertising budget, an own brand website is not necessary.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
ebay is likely to be a waste of time with this line considering the price and wide availability of similar designs, imo. too many shirts there, you get lost in the shuffle real quick. having a brand on ebay just hasn't worked out for most people (of course there are exceptions) as it's seemingly just not a good synergy (i feel all corporatey today).

starter, are you saying a website isn't necessary if you don't have good marketing/advertising budget? how else are you going to conduct commerce? through facebook?

i might try a flea market for a month or so, see what people are buying, get some feedback, talk to folk, check out the competition. sure, it can be a pain and a lot of hard work, but it's fun at the same time, and i promise you you *will* learn something. i would consider it a test market.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
you could do both, of course. the thing is, you should try to hit as close to your market as possible, and these designs are, imo, more in line with the flea market crowd. besides, fairs and festivals last a weekend, whereas if you got an indoor booth at a flea market you're not setting up and tearing down every weekend, there are no tents to deal with, all that stuff.

it depends on how you look at it. it's not as if fairs and such are likely to be *that* much more of a boon. maybe. maybe not. i'm looking at establishing at least a modicum of consistency by which to create some kind of base line. paul is right, the flea market shirt can be low quality with a matching price point. then again, it's competition. i know of folk that do very, very well selling their shirts there, from the $6 slogan tee to the $60 custom airbrushed shirt and price points inbetween. too, it helps to set up at the right flea market (and fair, for that matter). the kind that is a flea market by day, drive-in by night, then, nah, i'd skip that. well-trafficked indoor set-ups where it's more of an ongoing retail outlet for us small guys, that's a different story.

fairs and such are great, and you're bound to be able to ask more towards your top dollar. if your market goes to those things and you don't mind the extra work and cost, go for it. the one guy i know who does fairs all the time says people just aren't buying, sadly. maybe it's his product, not sure as i don't have the time to attend these things anymore. i do know that he's had to adjust his prices down to be able to move more. that's just the way it goes. if you look at the supply and demand aspect, there's of course a high demand, but there's also a very high supply and tons of competition that brings the price down a bit.

like i said, it's just a market research/market test kind of thing. i'd just be looking to see what sells and who's buying, without as much emphasis on the price i'm selling as i'd naturally ask more on the website anyway.

just an idea. :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
I clicked on your shopping cart to see what you charge for shipping ... $7.00 for one shirt??? No way. And two shirts was $14.00 (not even a little discount). You can ship one shirt 1st class for under $3.00 anywhere in the states, add a little for the mailer and you shouldn't be be charging more than $3-$4 for the first shirt.

A FAQs page with specs and a return policy are necessary and show professionalism.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Did the op change anything? I'm on my phone and can't tell. I often see ppl ask for advice and then not do anything.

No, still the same. Still over priced for what they are and still 7 bucks shipping per design. Still no real shopping cart.

Me, for the shirts being sold on the site I would be selling them at $15 (some at $10) max with free shipping. And I would still probably have a hard time selling them.

·
Registered
447 Posts
No, still the same. Still over priced for what they are and still 7 bucks shipping per design. Still no real shopping cart.

Me, for the shirts being sold on the site I would be selling them at $15 (some at $10) max with free shipping. And I would still probably have a hard time selling them.
I think $7 shipping is ok. We are in tge business so we know better.. But my market research showed that tge average consumer would pay this for one shirt. (but not $14 for 2)

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
that's too high for shipping, imo. it reminds me of those ebay sellers that has something for a great price, then wants $20 to ship a two pound package. i could see $4 for shipping a shirt, no problem, but more than that i would question whether or not i really wanted the thing based on just the principle of paying more than what everyone is charging. then again, i've never believed that someone should profit from shipping and handling, so knowing that someone *is* going to profit from it would rather grate on my nerves....

21 - 40 of 115 Posts