T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I am a newbie to screen printing business. I have been using WB ink since I started a few months ago. The reason I started with WB ink to begin with is because that is what came will the kit that I bought from Ryonet. I figured that it would be easy to work with. Being that is what they sent a total beginner.
Well, what I can tell you is. That the only thing easy about WB ink is the clean up, and if you should get it on the shirt you can wash it out easy. After reading tons of post on the subject here, and even starting a few of my own. I was still struggling with the opaque inks. I would have a a few really good prints, then a bad one or two. I was always throwing away shirt a shirt or two.
I always had a really hard time curing the shirts. At first I used a heat gun and a Iron and the dryer. That worked, but I would spend hours curing the shirts. It really was worth the time it was taking cure them. I got a flash dryer to cure the shirts. Using the flash dryer was a lot faster, but now I was scorching shirts. You have to get the ink to 325* ish and keep it there for 2-3 min. That is really hard to do with out burning the shirt! I would cure for 1 min, cool for 1 min, cure for 1 min. for about 5 times. this was still taking me way to long to do.
Last week. I had a order to do. it was 10 long sleeve shirts. i printed the front, back,and both sleeves. It took me over 10 hrs. and I only ruined 2 shirts. I had enough!
I decided to order white plastisol, and a few cans of C60. Just in case.
I had a 10 shirt order to do today. I used the plastisol ink and it was so much easier!! And I did not throw away any shirts. I cant believe how much easier it is to work with, and how much faster it was to cure the shirts. It took 1min 10 sec to cure a shirt! My flashes only took 7 sec. instead of 40 sec. The prints looked great!! Clean up was not that bad either.
I threw away the rest of my WB inks and orderd plastisol right before i made this post. If you are new to screen printing and are afraid of plastisol for what ever reason. If you can cure at 325* Just try it you will make the same decision as I did. I now know that if had been using plastisol from the beginning. I would not have thrown away so many shirts.
I will never print Water Based ink again!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story. I am still using waterbased but hopefully when I am able to order my kit from ryonet I will be able to get the plastisol ink and yes I have been a little afraid of the clean up with plastisol but u make it worth it. Do u like your equipment from them?

The way I cure is with a heat press for my waterbased inks. I don't let them sit for 2-3 minutes only about 39 seconds and they have been fine wash after wash.

Thanks again for your recommendation

1 - 2 of 2 Posts