T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the idea of starting my own t-shirt company for quite some time now. I have some good ideas but I have absolutely no idea how to get started. Does anyone have any advice?Thanks.

-JEST

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
The best advice would be to set aside several hours, go through every thread on this forum, and take notes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, if you have ideas, get them on paper. Way to many of mine never make it to computer or paper. Once you have that, do some comparison shopping for a screen printer. Some nice cheap people here. Then find some retailers, and thats where I am now. I've sold enough shirts to break even, and one shop said they would sell my shirts, but haven't yet. I need to contact them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is there money in this business? I am looking to start a label, just because I want to, havent even really thought about the financial rewards. I know companies like "Life is Good" that just slap a label on a shirt make $50 million a year in revenues. What about the smaller labels like "Nice Collective" and stuff that sell to higher end boutiques though?

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Is there money in this business?
Yes.

I am looking to start a label, just because I want to, havent even really thought about the financial rewards.
Some people do it just for fun. It's nice to be able to have a hobby that can make you money :)

I know companies like "Life is Good" that just slap a label on a shirt make $50 million a year in revenues.
I think that's a gross understatement of how the Life is Good brand is established, marketed and promoted. There's a LOT more to it (otherwise we'd all be millionaires :))

What about the smaller labels like "Nice Collective" and stuff that sell to higher end boutiques though?
What about them?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I dont know if I'm duping this message ...doesnt look like it showed up the first time.

But thank you Rodney. This is an incredible source of info.

My basic question was this:

Do companies that sell to boutiques (rather than a Life is Good who would sell to KMart and Walmart and these other huge departments stores that they just mass produce), make good money?

I am just trying to think of how to set pricing, etc. Say I try and sell a shirt direct through my site for $60.00 and the cost of the shirt is $10, my profit is $50. However, how do I set a price point for selling to retail stores, ie wholesaling the thing to boutiques or other outlets?

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Do companies that sell to boutiques (rather than a Life is Good who would sell to KMart and Walmart and these other huge departments stores that they just mass produce), make good money?
Depends on what you mean by good money. There is money to be made in all types of niches if it's done right.

Say I try and sell a shirt direct through my site for $60.00 and the cost of the shirt is $10, my profit is $50. However, how do I set a price point for selling to retail stores, ie wholesaling the thing to boutiques or other outlets?
There are a few topics that have been posted here about setting pricing. Try the following search terms in the t-shirtforums search box: prices, retail, pricing, maybe even boutique

·
Registered
2 Posts
good info...i keep finding great information every thread i check out...i've been trying to get my line off the ground and this is a great site to start with...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts