T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just was wondering what style of frame and manufacture is the frame pictured below from? I won it on ebay and it was described as newmans, but i searched the shur-loc site and none of the pictures showed a frame with this material.

Is there any alternative tools besides the wrench made from the manufactures that i could use?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
329 Posts
It looks like an old newman roller frame. Yes you can use other wrenches with it if you have one big enough just be really careful. The reason the newman wrenches are so long is to get good torque when stretching them. There is a lot of energy in a high tension screen and if your not careful you could get a wrench in the face. your going to want a tension meter too if you don't have one and some locking strip. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
M1 Square Bar Newman Roller Frame made by Stretch Devices in Philadelphia. In very nice shape with no tool damage.

There are written instructions for download on the Stretch Devices web site. http://www.stretchdevices.com/instructions.php

Requires special open end wrench because of the odd size and an automotive wrench ends are long and they poke through the mesh.

Even Stretch Devices takes a stock auto wrench and mills the opening to a larger size and grinds down the ends.

I worked at Stretch as General Manager 1985-87.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
We have tried the Newman Roller screens and now they sit in the back room. We did not find any advantage from regular stretched screens, and we print large runs.
John :)

·
Registered
584 Posts
John, do you stretch your own screens or have them ordered pre-stretched? What kind of machine do you use if you stretch them yourself?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
We built a screen stretcher, picture a frame lager that what u use with another one the size of your screen at the bottom we put a hydraulic jack. Pump it till the tension meters say it ok. Its metal and welded.
John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
thanks for the replies.

i just bought locking strips, alignmet clips and the m1 wrench.

the wrench cost $88. I can see the modifications compared to a regular open end wrench

also won a tension meter on ebay

edit: the m1 wrench that i bought is too big.

does anyone know what size openend wrench do i need for this screen frame?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
i just bought locking strips, alignmet clips and the m1 wrench.

the wrench cost $88. I can see the modifications compared to a regular open end wrench

edit: the m1 wrench that i bought is too big.
An M1 Open End Wrench has an approximate opening of 15/16 of an inch, (the same as the span of the end plug).

Perhaps if it is too big, you purchased an M3 wrench instead. The M3 classic wrench starts with a 1-1/4" open end steel wrench.

The M1 socket is 1/2" and the roller is about 1 inch diameter. M3 rollers are 1 5/8".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks richard. What mods did you do to the wrench since i see that it doesnt look like a regular automotive combination wrench.

The wrench i bought was for an M1-x

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
What mods did you do to the wrench since i see that it doesnt look like a regular automotive combination wrench.

The wrench i bought was for an M1-x

This vintage M1 wrench started life as a 7/8" wrench. I didn't modify it, all M1 wrenches were milled at the Stretch Devices factory to open up the jaws and grind them shorter so they would not poke through the mesh.

The M1-X frame has 1-5/16" rollers compared to the 1-1/16" rollers of the M1 and was the first Newman wrench to be made of cast magnesium.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sorry I know this thread is old but I just wondered if anyone knew the differences between old newman frames and a new model? anything major that would stop me getting a few old ones off ebay to try as apose to forking out for new ones?

just want to get a few to experiment.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
M1, M1-X, MZ-X, M-3, M-6? Lots of variations since 1979.

All are good if the end caps are not stripped, and you have the right wrench.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts