T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone! I am new to the whole T-Shirt game and I just wanted to introduce myself and let you all know that I would greatly appreciate any advice on starting a small T-shirt business. I decided to take a shot at starting this business because I already had some equipment that my husband purchased back in 2015. Currently, I have a Roland GX-24 Camm-1 Servo and a heat press. I am going to be completely honest, I have gotten the hang of the basic features, but the Cut Studio software that came with the cutter seems to only do very simple cuts. The laptop with the software came with the Roland, so I started watching Youtube videos and practice. I also have Adobe Elements 9 installed on the laptop, but I have no clue how to use it and I have tried looking for tutorials on how to use i, but no luck. So, now I am trying to research what else I could use to make shirts, stickers, etc.
If anyone can help me out on a few questions I have, I would be forever thankful because I have come to a halt in the videos I am watching.
1. What is the best printer to use for HTV?
2. Is it worth buying another Roland (newer)?
3. What programs, software is good to create designs?
4. If anyone else has the GX-24, what are some things I can do with it?
5. What is the best HTV?
6. Is it worth just purchasing already made HTV's?

Any other advice is welcomed, also if you want to just direct me to some other posts that answer the questions or would be helpful, please do so.
I really want to get this business started ASAP. I am am elementary teacher who just wants to get something started before the next school year. While teaching is my passion and has been for the past 7 years, the amount of stress and paperwork is ridiculous. I got into this profession to make a difference and teach from the heart, but it seems like the more time passes by, I am only teaching to the test. Please HELP!!!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Hello Everyone! I am new to the whole T-Shirt game and I just wanted to introduce myself and let you all know that I would greatly appreciate any advice on starting a small T-shirt business. I decided to take a shot at starting this business because I already had some equipment that my husband purchased back in 2015. Currently, I have a Roland GX-24 Camm-1 Servo and a heat press. I am going to be completely honest, I have gotten the hang of the basic features, but the Cut Studio software that came with the cutter seems to only do very simple cuts. The laptop with the software came with the Roland, so I started watching Youtube videos and practice. I also have Adobe Elements 9 installed on the laptop, but I have no clue how to use it and I have tried looking for tutorials on how to use i, but no luck. So, now I am trying to research what else I could use to make shirts, stickers, etc.
If anyone can help me out on a few questions I have, I would be forever thankful because I have come to a halt in the videos I am watching.
5. What is the best HTV?

Any other advice is welcomed, also if you want to just direct me to some other posts that answer the questions or would be helpful, please do so.
I really want to get this business started ASAP. I am am elementary teacher who just wants to get something started before the next school year. While teaching is my passion and has been for the past 7 years, the amount of stress and paperwork is ridiculous. I got into this profession to make a difference and teach from the heart, but it seems like the more time passes by, I am only teaching to the test. Please HELP!!!
i don't think the roland gx24 can print, only cut
to print on htv you need an eco-solvent printer

i think adobe elements is a photo (raster) editor, for a cutter you probably want a vector program
or at least a hybrid program like affinity or xara photo and graphic designer
you can also get something like sure-cuts-alot that may do all the vector designing you need and then you can send it straight to the cutter

for stickers stick to good quality sign vinyl like oracal
(there is also removable wall vinyl to keep in mind)

your cutter is a very good cutter and should not need an upgrade
(maybe a new blade, get them here)

my personal favorite vinyl is thermoflex plus (using this simple trick)
but there are some that like b-flex gimme5, chemica, sef, get samples and do your own testing to see what you like

it can be worth it to purchase pre-made numbers, but even then, they are quick weeds

if you are doing your own htv designs, there are tricks to make wedding easier
  • every internal space takes extra time, either expose it or get rid of it (within the confines of your personal design aesthetics)
  • create a full cutline around your complex elements and weed separate (you have text and shapes in a design, put a circle/square/etc. around the text)
  • use stencil fonts whenever possible (again within your personal design aesthetics)
  • ensure your blade is just barely kissing the carrier sheet under the htv (you don't want to be making an actual cut into it, do as many test cuts as necessary for the htv you are using and save the parameters, it may change later on as the blade dulls)
  • one-pull weeds are better than...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i don't think the roland gx24 can print, only cut
to print on htv you need an eco-solvent printer

i think adobe elements is a photo (raster) editor, for a cutter you probably want a vector program
or at least a hybrid program like affinity or xara photo and graphic designer
you can also get something like sure-cuts-alot that may do all the vector designing you need and then you can send it straight to the cutter

for stickers stick to good quality sign vinyl like oracal
(there is also removable wall vinyl to keep in mind)

your cutter is a very good cutter and should not need an upgrade
(maybe a new blade, get them here)

my personal favorite vinyl is thermoflex plus (using this simple trick)
but there are some that like b-flex gimme5, chemica, sef, get samples and do your own testing to see what you like

it can be worth it to purchase pre-made numbers, but even then, they are quick weeds

if you are doing your own htv designs, there are tricks to make wedding easier
  • every internal space takes extra time, either expose it or get rid of it (within the confines of your personal design aesthetics)
  • create a full cutline around your complex elements and weed separate (you have text and shapes in a design, put a circle/square/etc. around the text)
  • use stencil fonts whenever possible (again within your personal design aesthetics)
  • ensure your blade is just barely kissing the carrier sheet under the htv (you don't want to be making an actual cut into it, do as many test cuts as necessary for the htv you are using and save the parameters, it may change later on as the blade dulls)
  • one-pull weeds are better than...
Thank so much for all the information. I appreciate the advice, by any chance any recommendation on printer? I hear Epson is good.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
here is the deal with epson desktop printers:

• if they have the pigment ink, then you can use them out of the box with jetpro sofstretch (here, here and here)
  • your yellow, and all its derivative colors will shift with the heatpress, so either do testing to adjust in your graphics/printer, or buy ink from somewhere like cobra ink
  • if you already have an epson desktop you can buy refillable cartridges and ink (avoid the cis)
  • jpss is best on 50/50 poly/cotton blends that are white
  • you can use them on other colors, but you should cut and weed as the adhesive will leave a visible window (check here, here and here)

• you can use dye sublimation ink in the epson desktops that originally use pigment ink
  • this ink is meant for white 100% polyester, but you can do colors, as long as the material color is not darkjer than the ink color
  • you can use 65/35 poly/cotton blends but 35% of your color will wash out, giving it a faded look (good for retro designs, but best to wash garment before selling so customers are not shocked and return it)

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
Welcome. You can get AI for about $20/month. That is what you need to do vector graphics for cutting. You can also use Corel. They have a similar program for a monthly fee I believe.

·
Administrator
15,479 Posts
Welcome. You can get AI for about $20/month. That is what you need to do vector graphics for cutting. You can also use Corel. They have a similar program for a monthly fee I believe.
The good thing about Corel is you can also purchase it outright. As someone who hasn't seen the need to update Corel except every 5 years or so, purchase is the cheaper route long term.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
here is the deal with epson desktop printers:

• if they have the pigment ink, then you can use them out of the box with jetpro sofstretch (here, here and here)
  • your yellow, and all its derivative colors will shift with the heatpress, so either do testing to adjust in your graphics/printer, or buy ink from somewhere like cobra ink
  • if you already have an epson desktop you can buy refillable cartridges and ink (avoid the cis)
  • jpss is best on 50/50 poly/cotton blends that are white
  • you can use them on other colors, but you should cut and weed as the adhesive will leave a visible window (check here, here and here)

• you can use dye sublimation ink in the epson desktops that originally use pigment ink
  • this ink is meant for white 100% polyester, but you can do colors, as long as the material color is not darkjer than the ink color
  • you can use 65/35 poly/cotton blends but 35% of your color will wash out, giving it a faded look (good for retro designs, but best to wash garment before selling so customers are not shocked and return it)
Thank you for all the advice!

·
Registered
0 Posts
5. What is the best HTV?

Hello I am located in Denver, well I live in Broomfield and I share a shop and a studio space in Denver right behind Breakfast King (R.I.P.). I have been using all manner of graphics software for about 24 years now. I can definitely show you how to use any of the softwares that have been mentioned here. I have been using adobe illustrator and photoshop since 1997 lol. I also have a full copy of sure cuts alot, and have used it a bunch. I also can show you the ropes on cutting/weeding etc and my shopMate and I can repair most equipment. We run a pretty open collaborative shop/studio. I would be more than willing to help you out either up in Broomfield or down at the shop or anywhere reasonably located in between. Like I say we are pretty open source oriented I’d be happy to help in exchange for some materials, and some time on your cutter as I don’t currently have one, we do have CNC machines, three different types of 3D printers, laser engravers, and a large format printer. As well as a okidata color laser and a real nice Kyocera. If you have any interest in learning about those types of machines or a desire for anything they produce. We a sublimate printing setup/materials as well. Anyway feel free to message me or email me [email protected] and I can help you get rolling and let you try out software etc whatever you feel like will help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello I am located in Denver, well I live in Broomfield and I share a shop and a studio space in Denver right behind Breakfast King (R.I.P.). I have been using all manner of graphics software for about 24 years now. I can definitely show you how to use any of the softwares that have been mentioned here. I have been using adobe illustrator and photoshop since 1997 lol. I also have a full copy of sure cuts alot, and have used it a bunch. I also can show you the ropes on cutting/weeding etc and my shopMate and I can repair most equipment. We run a pretty open collaborative shop/studio. I would be more than willing to help you out either up in Broomfield or down at the shop or anywhere reasonably located in between. Like I say we are pretty open source oriented I’d be happy to help in exchange for some materials, and some time on your cutter as I don’t currently have one, we do have CNC machines, three different types of 3D printers, laser engravers, and a large format printer. As well as a okidata color laser and a real nice Kyocera. If you have any interest in learning about those types of machines or a desire for anything they produce. We a sublimate printing setup/materials as well. Anyway feel free to message me or email me [email protected] and I can help you get rolling and let you try out software etc whatever you feel like will help.
Wow! I'm very appreciative of that, however, I'm located in TX. Like I mentioned I only have a cutter, cut studio, and adobe photoshop elements that it came with, but as you can tell both are very outdated compared to what everyone uses now that I've seen on social media. I'd love to be able to do all the great things they're doing, unfortunately right now I'm just not able to do that due to financial reasons 😕. I'm going to just use what I have and cross my fingers that I can sell some things, even if they're just one color 🤷🏻‍♀️. I'll definitely reach out to you though if I need any advice. Thank you for being so supportive.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Wow! I'm very appreciative of that, however, I'm located in TX. Like I mentioned I only have a cutter, cut studio, and adobe photoshop elements that it came with, but as you can tell both are very outdated compared to what everyone uses now that I've seen on social media. I'd love to be able to do all the great things they're doing, unfortunately right now I'm just not able to do that due to financial reasons 😕. I'm going to just use what I have and cross my fingers that I can sell some things, even if they're just one color 🤷🏻‍♀️. I'll definitely reach out to you though if I need any advice. Thank you for being so supportive.
Man I don’t know why I thought you were located in Denver! My bad on that, I could help with getting you some
Better software for sure if your interested. Or if you just need help getting a print-cut file Ready for the machine reach out and I’ll take your art and format it for you. I dunno why I thought. You were here but I ran out and offered to help which is just my co-conspirator and I’s philosophy on open source, freedom of information, abolishing intellectual gatekeepers. I felt the need to offer for whatever reason there is that tells ones self to speak up/reach out. Spatial location discrepancies aside I am still down to help without the burden of $ creating a barrier to helping you help yourself overcome career/financial unpleasantness. Because those things suck and I am an anti-suck factor advocate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts