T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi im a newbie around here
Im thinking of starting a T shirt company of my own. I still havent found a printer though. Since my dad makes frequent business visits to Bangkok I was wondering if anyone here knew a good T shirt printer in Bangkok. I want them full color screen printed or very high quality heat transfer or digital print. Havent made up my mind yet :confused: . Im not sure about the four color screen printing prices either. Problem with screen print is that I'll have to get a large amount of the same design done. But im not sure about the durability of heat transfer either. I want to print out illustrations of my own. I work mostly in illustrator.
Any pointers, help recommendations is much appreciated. :D Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I think your work would make great looking tees. Very fresh and I think marketable on tees. I sell deco art prints from the early 20's on my tees in my Teerag store. (Not an ad) I use heat transfers as I no nothing about screenprinting and from what I do know I think it would be a large expence. But like I said others here can help you with that. have you done a test print on a tee yet. If not let me know maybe I can help you with that.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yeah, I like your stuff too, inkyfingers. Best of luck.

I'm in a similar position, in that I also am just starting out with my own designs, and need to print just a few of each to begin, doing more on an as-needed basis as Tshirt orders come in. Obviously, screenprinting is too expensive for small runs. I've gleaned from reading many helpful posts on this forum that plastisol heat transfers are the best quality option for 100% cotton Ts other than screenprinting. However...

This is going to sound dumb... but are you guys out there who are actually doing the biz making your own heat transfers, or are you getting them done by a printing company, then printing them on to your Ts using your own heat press?

Despite all my research, I still don't really understand the process. What equipment do you need to create your own plastisol heat transfers on an as-needed basis? (I've just been quoted $15 per A4 digital transfer by a local Tshirt printer, and this seems so expensive as to make even digital heat transfers economically unviable for someone just starting out). I'm thinking I am obviously missing something...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys. Thanks for the support. Badalou, i sent you pvt messege :)

Im not really familiar with plastisol heat transfers. I suppose they're a speacial type of heat transfers. What do you guys think? What method of printing would be best for my illustrations? I'd like them to look very vibrant and colorful, and the print shouldnt fade off.

I tried a screen printer in Bangkok and even they dont do small quantities of each design. I dunno how to get this thing started..sigh.. :confused: heeeeeelllllp!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Plastisol transfers are transfers that are screenprinted. There are several companies out there that do low mins. I would be glad to give you company names. I would have to look up the information. Jim

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Ross B said:
This is going to sound dumb... but are you guys out there who are actually doing the biz making your own heat transfers, or are you getting them done by a printing company, then printing them on to your Ts using your own heat press?
Some people use premade transfers (i.e. you the t-shirt maker chooses a design from a catalogue and buys a few of them to press and sell), some print digital transfers, some order plastisol transfers and apply those, some do a combination (most commonly of printing their own transfers and out-sourcing plastisol transfers).

There's probably some businesses out there in the big wide world who get their own designs printed on normal transfer paper and heat press them themself, but it's not normal.

Ross B said:
What equipment do you need to create your own plastisol heat transfers on an as-needed basis?
Screens, squeegees, a vacuum print table, a curing oven, etc.

Ross B said:
(I've just been quoted $15 per A4 digital transfer by a local Tshirt printer, and this seems so expensive as to make even digital heat transfers economically unviable for someone just starting out).
For a digital transfer? Not plastisol?

For plastisol that would be very expensive, for a digital transfer... that's a single piece retail price. You shouldn't be paying even close to that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can anyone tell me if there are any color limitations in plastisol heat transfering? Is it possible to in full color? If there ARE color limitations, what's the difference between screen printing and plastisol transfers? Im thinking of ordering some plastisol transfer paper with my designs on them, or would that be too expensive?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
inkyfingers said:
If there ARE color limitations, what's the difference between screen printing and plastisol transfers?
There isn't one. Plastisol is a type of ink, plastisol transfers are screen printed onto a carrier paper, that paper is then pressed to the shirt with a heat press transferring the ink and leaving the paper to be discarded.

inkyfingers said:
Im thinking of ordering some plastisol transfer paper with my designs on them, or would that be too expensive?
If it was too expensive people wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
aww shucks. :( Could you guys recommend a printing method for me then. I dont want to be limited by colors. But I want the print to be durable, and crack free.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Thems the breaks unfortunately.

You could try direct to fabric printing (doesn't crack, full colour) - but it has its own problems (faded colours, expensive equipment).

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Having looked at you designs, I think they would look superb in screenprinted spot colour.

To be honest, I don't think anything else would do them justice.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Yes :)

You could get them process printed with only 4 or 5 screens, but given the solidity of your colours, spot would be nicer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Guys , thanks for being so helpful to a clueless gal like me.
I think I'll go into spot color printing once I test run my designs. Is there four color printing /CMYK printing for plastisol transfers? Coz I know a company in India transbeauti.com whos doing all sorts of plastisol transfers. I actually send them one of my designs to get a quote, havent got a reply yet. Is this method any cheaper than using lots of flat colors for plastisol transfering?

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I don't know if you can do process printing with plastisol transfers or not.

Thinking about it... I'd be very very dubious. I mean technically anything is possible, but I wouldn't bet on the result being anything to look at.

As I said though, I've never actually looked into it, so it's worth checking with a company before trusting me. If you do find someone who does it I'd ask for a sample to check the quality before rushing in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am not an artist like you. What you realy need do decide is if you want a T shirt business or if you want your art on T Shirts. It is cheaper and easier to put catalog transfers on your shirts and cheaper but if your heart is set on your art there is a price to pay for that. I dont know what your luck or skills would be in selling either way. I believe you would have more satisfaction in selling your own shirts. You might want to start sell less exspensive ways then when you have got it down do your hearts desire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I want to break in to the T shirt business. Got my heart set on it. I'm just looking for a way to break into it without hurting my bank account. But I do have many decisions to make before I do that.
Thanks you guys for all your help :) This site rocks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts