T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
There is no specific "screen print" feeling. Screen printing is a very diverse method.
There is plastisol, waterbased, discharge, and many variations of those.

My guess it that you are after those soft prints on cotton shirts you see at the shops, and feel just like the fabric.
Everyone would like those prints, but they are not possible with transfers.

You can have it on polyester shirts using sublimation transfers, but there are a lot of limitations there as well.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
If I understand correctly, in comparison to a white toner laser transfer, essentially the benefit of DST is replacing the white toner undercoat with a screen printed undercoat, but the full color toner layer remains.
It's actually white coating+adhesive powder (1st video), or
white coating+black coating+adhesive powder (2nd video).
It's not just regular plastisol though. It can be solvent based polyurethane (very stretchy), or waterbased acrylic.
It can even be a combination of the above, and the last two work much better than plastisol.

So, I'm having trouble imagining how "When pressed the whole thing has the feel and durability of a screen printed transfer."?
The wet ink is actually disolving/absorbing the toner.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
But are you saying one way is to use BOTH white coating PLUS black coating (plus adhesive)? What would be the point of the black coating?
The black layer (it could be any color actually) is optional, for when you don't want a hard edge, but you don't want a white outline either.
You still need the white layer to make the colors pop, and the color layer for the outline.
As pat said, the carbon black in the black ink does help with dye migration as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.