T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that there is lightweight and heavy weight t-shirts what is the differences?

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Re: Newbie Question

One is light and the other is heavy.. I am on a roll guys.. OK it is about the ounces of the shirt. I use 6.1 cotton there are 5.6 oz cotton. But I bet someone has a better answer. Lou

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Like Lou said, lightweight and heavyweight shirts refer to the number of "ounces". It's generally how heavy the shirt feels when you wear it (although there is a more technical definition to it :))

A heavyweight shirt general would be 6 oz or above

A midweight shirt would be about 5.5 oz (although this is sometimes referred to as a lightweight shirt on some sites if they are trying to offer a comparison for consumers).

A lightweight shirt to me would be about 5oz or less. Usually "promotional" shirts are printed on lightweight shirts because they are less expensive than heavyweight tees.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see, I don't understand the pros to heavyweight t-shirts then, are they more durable? more comfortable? Look better?

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
I see, I don't understand the pros to heavyweight t-shirts then, are they more durable? more comfortable? Look better?
It's really just a preference thing. Some people equate a heavyweight t-shirt with higher quality. Some people prefer lighter weight t-shirts in hotter climates.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Re: Newbie Question

badalou said:
But I bet someone has a better answer. Lou
I don't think there really is a better answer: it's pretty easily encapsulated.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
.does anyone here have an optimum for t-shirt types though?
There really is no optimum for t-shirt types.

An urban (hip hop) clothing line will usually use heavyweight oversized shirts, a vintage clothing line will usually use lighter weight, soft t-shirts. All different types will use everything in between.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts