T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am a newbie and have not screen printed yet. I have been reading and watching videos. I have a pretty simple design I am doing for my kid. I am not sure what emulsion to get. I am using speedball printing ink I believe its a water base. Thank you for any information

·
Registered
32 Posts
What Exposure unit are you going to be using? There are a bunch but depends on exposure unit, are you in the garage or inside the house, and where you live because of humidity concerns. Not sure of your setup though. Also what material will you be printing on?

You can use a few different ones. You don't want any that say to use a hardener for water based ink as you would not be able to reclaim the screen. Also how detailed is the work going to be?

You can use Ulano, Chromaline, WBP from Ryonet, or many others. The one thing about the presensitized one is they can last up to a year or 2 depending on storage/brand. The diazo one are 6 weeks to maybe 6 months after mixing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As for right now I will be using the sun. I will more then likely be using a spare bathroom or the garage. I live in Texas so humidity will be a concern. The design is very basic wording. Nothing special. Will print on Gildan shirts. I just ordered the aluminum screens with 156 mesh. My husband wanted to order something quick so we can try and get this done. He said alot of people in the videos we are watching are using the green emulsion. So I ordered 1qt of Ecotex LED Emulsion. Our hope is to reuse the screens. I hope this works....lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hummm....That might not be the best for you. That is a plastisol emulsion one part. Water based inks normally have to have a diazo added or require a post exposure. So after you wash out your stencil put it back out for a bit to harden/cure more. That should help it become more resistant to the water based ink(s).

Good luck and hope that it all works out. You can also use a halogen work lamp from walmart or some place if it is cloudy and looks like rain.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
When you say you have a pretty simple design to do for your kid, have you considered cutting a sign vinyl stencil intead of using emulsion?

If you plan on sticking to solid colour designs then it may be advantageous to buy a cutter (Cameo will do) and cut your own stencils. They are easily removed for reusing the screens.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When you say you have a pretty simple design to do for your kid, have you considered cutting a sign vinyl stencil intead of using emulsion?

If you plan on sticking to solid colour designs then it may be advantageous to buy a cutter (Cameo will do) and cut your own stencils. They are easily removed for reusing the screens.
I have done the same thing before if it was just a simple block lettering. Much faster and easier than having to coat, burn, washout the screen. I have 2 that I keep just for that reason uncoated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am using my Cricut to make the designs and the stencils. I was going to just use the vinyl. My daughter showed her friends the shirt and now I have 23 orders. LOL. I dont know if the vinyl would hold up for that many shirts without coming up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts