T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Ok, so im new to sublimation. First off, what is the difference between dye sub and sublimation? I have a Epson C88 with the bulk ink. I print on sublimation paper and heat transfer it to polyester shrits.

Next, I've had some difficulty with the bulk ink system and I'm considering an upgrade to a cartridge printer that has a little larger print area. I'm limited to 8.5 x 14 right now. Any recommendations? This is just a hobby for me, not really a business. My husband and I play recreational/competitive sports, and we've been making team jerseys for friends/family.

I've been looking at the Epson 4880. And want to know #1 how much do the cartridges normally run, and #2 any idea of how many prints/cartridge? If you are familiar with the Epson C88 the cartridges are tiny and hold about 1/4 of the ink the bulk system (inkbags) hold. and #3 how big can you print? I think you can buy paper 17" wide, but what is the other dimention?

Most of my print jobs are on a soft polyester shirt similar to underarmor or wicking fabric. I'm continuing to have problems with the paper leaving press marks. does anyone know how to get around having the press marks?

And LAST - anyone have a recommendation for discounted (new) printers and ink supplies???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sincerely,
Lost in Texas :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: newbie needs help - bad!

Hi Texas,
Dye sub & sublimation are the samer thing. I use a C88 with a bulk ink system. I use Air Tanium ink. It clogs much less that Sawgrass, however it's not error free. The number of prints with depend on how detailed, size of the print, number of colors. That sort of thing. Everybody sells yhe ink for almost the same thing. I buy from Johnson Plastics or Conde. They seem to have very good tech support when I need it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Here are some of the answers to your questions:

1. The cartridges are 110 ML and 220 ML in size. Price can range between $139 to $149 for the 110 ML (depending on ArTainium or SubliJet IQ) and around $230 to $240 for the 220 ML size.

2. This varies so much based on the size, coverage and saturation of your prints. Average cost for ink and paper on a 4880 is around $0.60 to $0.80 for a standard 10" x 10" print. This will help you with your numbers. The 4880 printer does allow you to run a report stating the exact amount of ink used to print that transfer, but some of the ink will be lost during cleanings and spitting.

3. 17" wide by whatever you can print before the paper comes off track too much that the printer stops it. Just remember that you need a heat press that large to cure the print. So the average hit press is 16" x 20" and the 4880 does this with no problems.

As for a discount printer, you might want to consider attending the ISS Ft. Worth show (www.issshows.com) in October if you can wait that long. You should be able to find a deal on a printer there.

Other companies to talk to (besides Conde and Johnson Plastics) that are close to Texas are Graphics Solutions Group and The Paper Ranch.

Good luck with you research.

Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts