T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to make this as short as possible. I am pretty new to the industry.......been designing shirts for about a year and selling them to local stores in South Carolina and on ebay. Right now I have been focusing on learning Corel Draw 12.0 (Illustrator and Photoshop in the future). At first I intended to purchase a 4 color screen press, but after re-thinking it, I feel I am better of with a heat press because I will be doing short runs with several designs. I looked at the Fast T-Jet but that is pretty expensive for starting out and I am not really sold on their production times. So now I am deciding between a Geo Knight (16x20 swing arm) or a Hix. Does anyone recommend a certain Hix press similiar to this 16x20 swing arm. Also can anybody elaborate on the Geo Knight electrical problems that I have read about. Finally, most of my designs include a left chest with a full back. Can anybody tell me what I am looking at $ wise per sheet of transfer paper and who offer the cheapest but still good quality. My designs are about 12x11 on the back. Okay one more...................what Epson printer would be the best for these sized prints. Thank you so much for any replies. I have been on the screenprinters. net for awhile but I think this site is more geared towards what I want to do.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Hey there, I don't know the answer to your heat press questions, but I did want to welcome you to the T-Shirt Forums!

I'm sure some of the heat press experts here will see your post soon and give you some feedback :)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Does anyone recommend a certain Hix press similiar to this 16x20 swing arm. Also can anybody elaborate on the Geo Knight electrical problems that I have read about. Finally, most of my designs include a left chest with a full back. Can anybody tell me what I am looking at $ wise per sheet of transfer paper and who offer the cheapest but still good quality. My designs are about 12x11 on the back. Okay one more...................what Epson printer would be the best for these sized prints. Thank you so much for any replies. I have been on the screenprinters. net for awhile but I think this site is more geared towards what I want to do.
I have a mighty press, which I bought from imprintables. The press is good, but after about a year, it broke. I would however still reccomend getting a mighty press, since they sent me new parts to fix the machine free of charge. Imprintables is related to the manufacturers of the press, so they are more willing to send you replacement parts if your machine breaks, than if you bought a hix from some company on the internet.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
As far as a printer goes I would recommend the Epson 1280. This particular printer has six ink cartridges as opposed to four on most printers. The extra colors are a light cyan and a light magenta. This allows you to print better flesh tones when doing photo quality prints. Pricing for 11 x 17 inkjet transfer papers for light colored garments usually ranges from $1.50 down to $.95 depending on the quantity and the supplier. Paper for dark garments in 11 x 17 ranges from $3.25 - $2.25. In regards to heat presses, you'll find a lot of different views depending on what press an individual has experience with. There are three major things needed to produce a successful heat application -- Time, Temperature & Pressure. Most of todays presses are more than adequate at all three things. So when you're looking for a press, just make sure you find a company, as mentioned before, that provides adequate tech support and stands behind there products. Also look for "bells and whistles" that will help to limit your mistakes or just fit your needs (ie. digital time and temperature for more accuracy or a lightweight press for portability). Hope this helps...if you need me to elaborate on any certain model # from a manufacturer I will be happy to post pros and cons.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts