T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for some help on inks don't really know to much about them I'm doing some t shirts out of my house for my vinyl graphics business just started playing around screen printing. I'm using a water based ink right now and don't like the results i want the heavy raised ink look that's almost plastic. just wondering the difference in the types of ink if any one would like to share there expertise it would be much appreciated thank you

·
Registered
19 Posts
what type of screen printing are your looking to do? sounds like you might want to start out using
spot color.. you can look at inks from union ink and wilflex.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you but i know nothing about ink what so ever i dont know if i need textile ink or plasitsol i want to know what different ink do different things and what i need to use them? if anyone can help please.

·
Registered
77 Posts
waterbased inks will prints will be very soft, and there is also mixing involved, its usually left for more experienced printers. You definately do not want to start out with that. Those chemicals can be harmful if you dont not know what you are doing. you also need the right equipment for that. It sounds to me like you need to start out with plastisol ( most newbies start here.) Most screenprinters primarily use plastisol inks. The other inks fall into to the specialty ink category!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Plastisol inks are made up of three parts, PVC, Plasticizer, and Pigments. They cannot be air dryed and need to be heated to 320 degrees to "cure", which means you need a flash dryer or a conveyor heater. The ink is fairly easy to work with and you can create some amazing effects. I currently use Union Ink.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you for the info im printing white on black, what is the best brand for this type of printing. also im just doing a few shirts is there a cheap way to cure the plastisol ink? you guys are awesome thanks for the help.

·
Registered
584 Posts
You can use a heat gun to cure the shirts if you are doing small runs (1-20), but it's time consuming. Some people have mentioned putting their shirts in an oven, but I don't have any experience with that. If you are doing larger runs, you'll want to invest in at least a flash unit, which will speed up your productivity a bit, though a conveyor dryer is the best option for larger orders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you again any tips on printing white on black the water based ink i used seemed to bleed through "the shirt came through the ink" will this happen with plastisol ? and what is the best white for black shirts?

·
Registered
584 Posts
You can still get shirts bleeding through white with plastisol, you just have to make sure you are doing everything correctly: high tensioned screens, off contact, proper squeegee strokes, a good amount of emulsion, low mesh counts, and a high pigmented ink. I use like 20% Union Ultrasoft white and 80% Union Maxopake White. The Ultrasoft is smoother so it will allow the Maxopake to shear easier and lay down a nicer layer of ink, but don't use too much because it will take opacity away from your ink since it's reducing pigmentation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts