T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ladies and gents,
I'm new to the t-shirt biz but let me first point out that this is more of a hobby and at the moment have no interest in starting a t-shirt business. I've gotten most of my info from this site but now that I’ve actually purchased everything I’ve ran into a few problems so I have a couple of questions.
My setup,
-sunie heat press 16x24
-Epson 1400 using dye ink
-Transfer paper (Jpss/3G Jet Opaque Heat Transfer)

1. I've notice when pressing big images more ink gets pulled up on the back of the paper from the part of the shirt that is more towards the edge of the press. This would happen when using jpss transfer paper.
2. Since the pressure gauge is manual how do I determine if I’m using the right amount of pressure? I've read a good test to do would be to use a piece of paper and make sure it doesn't slide out.
3. Which brings me to me next question. Which one is more crucial, heat or pressure? I'm sure there must be a balance of both but if I’m off let’s say 5-10 degrees hotter than I should be compare to not enough pressure, which one would affect the shirt more?
4. What would be the best programs to use when doing tile printing? I’ve used illustrator but the images never line up properly. Is it due to my settings or is there a better program out there that you’re able to calibrate how you want the paper set up so you don't run into this issue?

4. About how long should you wait to peal the paper backing off jpss paper after you just pressed it? So far I’ve tried to pull it off right away so this might also be one of the reasons why there’s a noticeable amount of ink on the backin of the paper?
5. And just any tips in general

Appreciate any info you guys can help out with.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Here is my two cents worth answer to your question. IMOP your lack of pressure readings is a trade off for purchasing a cheap press. However, you say it's a hobby, so NP. Even pressure is important and you test that by putting a piece of paper at each corner and if you can pull one or more out, you need to adjust it if possible. I believe the pressure setting for JPSS is heavy, so have it adjusted right and crank it down. Your going to have to experiment some.

It is my understanding that JPSS is pretty sensitive to heat and a wide deviation from what is recommended may be a problem. We use 375 for 30 seconds at heavy setting on our Hotronix Swinger. I would suggest you get one of those heat reading gizmos and check your heat for accuracy.

As far as peeling it goes, we peel it hot. As soon as we pull it off, we give it a stretch(horizontally and vertically) and usually the paper will pop up and it comes right off. We will normally trim the transfer some before pressing it.

I would suggest to you that pigmented ink is better ink for printing transfers. This is mainly because it will hold up better under multiple washes.

As far as your tiles go, I don't do that so I won't comment. Good luck with your hobby.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Plastisol heat transfers are a good choice

for certain applications. Vinyl, ink jet, and sublimation are not suitable for all applications
First thing to do (and sometimes the hardest)
is to find a reliable supplier of stock (ready made) transfers and a
supplier of custom transfers. This allows the retailer to print
a wide array of composites (combining a stock transfer with
a custom transfer thus localizing and personalizing the image
also called "name drops”). Another lucrative area is athletics.
Team names and numbers both of which can be “gang printed”
(more than one image per transfer and then cut apart).

One advantage of transfers is less risk than printing shirts that you may
not be able to sell (who knows what sizes, styles and colors will sell?) and
the added advantage of small quantities for local small business.
This gives the ability to offer low cost on initial orders for small business
and have extra transfers on hand for repeat orders. This is also
good for repeat orders from events and family reunions.

Even most direct printers do not like to (or are not able to) print caps.
Cap prints can be gang printed on one sheet, quantity limited
only by size of the image. Getting started requires a low initial
investment (shirt press and cap press can be purchased for around $1000).

Happy shirting!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts