T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new in the world of heat printing/vinyl cutting etc, I just wondered if anybody knew how to make multicoloured heatpresses without individually layering it onto the garments. So it would just be 1 application, as I have a few people who would like me to provide the graphics but not actually print it for them so would be easier for them to do it in one go. I have done it before with car decals cutting separate vinyl and putting it all together on transfer tape, is it the same principle for heat pressing? If so where am I able to source the tape?

Thanks in advance and also apologise if my post is confusing lol

· Registered
160 Posts
No, if you pull heat press vinyl from it's carrier it wrinkles and curls. (Heat press vinyl is cut in reverse unlike sign vinyl.) It would take too much time to lay it all back on a transfer sheet and have it register properly. You either have to do multiple presses or use plastisol transfers.

Unless you have a flatbed or laser cutter and then you could use heat press twill, but you have to seal the edges of the twill somehow, usually with an embroidered edge.

If you really want to try it, order rhinestone transfer tape from your supplier.

· Registered
160 Posts
Also, it's a bad idea to get into the business of making transfers for people to iron on themselves. You won't make any money off of them; and when they use an iron instead of a heat press and the vinyl starts peeling or the print fails, they blame you, not themselves. The only garment decoration I sell that customers can DIY are rhinestone transfers less than the size of a household iron. Then I give them a double sided heat pressing and laundering instruction sheet with a no warranty clause on it with each transfer.

When you are pressing transfers, and especially when layering them, make sure you are using a fabric that is recommended for the heat press material and using inlines/outlines in your plotter software. You can't layer most heat press material on top of itself, it has to be able to adhere to the fabric underneath. I just re-pressed a shirt that my co-worker paid $35 for at a brick-and-mortar t-shirt store that layered PU vinyl and glitter on top of PVC vinyl. It was her 9yo daughter's shirt for a softball tournament out of state. She will wear it once and then it will peel again and be ruined.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.