T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, long time lurker, first time poster here...I think I'm all ready to get started...

this forum has been great and answered so many questions but I have just a few more that I couldn't find.

first my set-up- my wife and I were looking for the low-cost entry point and shorter learning curve so we elected for the heat press and getting heat press transfers made...don't yell at me but I did get a 15X15 Sunie press instead of the more expensive brands (if our products sell this will be the first upgrade)...I've purchased teflon sheets, teflon cover for the bottom, heat resistant gloves to protect the back of my hands, Tee-square it, Logo it, infrared temp gun- everything is arriving this week- I'm like a kid waiting to xmas

our initial entry will be for local high school spirit clothing and other items (drinkware, license plate frames, etc- we purchased a pad printer as well). High school sports is crazy in my area especially football yet there are no products out there.

anyway, one of the items I hope to make is car flags with the local high school names/mascots on them. Will I be able to heat press a plastisol transfer on blank car flags or do they have to be screen printed?

I'm sorry if this has already been addressed- I really did search but didn't come up with anything.

Finally, I want to thank everyone for all of the great info- the write-up on Plasitsol transfer companies for one was invaluable. I hope I will be able to contibute in the future.

Look forward to hearing from everyone.

Thanks,

Chris
Dirty Paws Ink

·
Registered
387 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Chris

I have used QLT/casi transfers on these flags -- a tad on the stiff side, but after washing, the transfer was much softer . . .

Solid White Car Flag

I do plan on trying JPSS on the flags . . just haven't gotten around to it yet . .

these type flags ARE NOT made for a daily use or at speeds over 55mphs
these flags don't hold up well to high speeds . . .

hope that helps a little bit . .

Diane
;o}

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Hi Chris,

I don't make these flags, but I wanted to say :welcome:
to you and your wife.

I just wanted to say "nice shopping list". You got a lot of great stuff there. Good luck with your new endeavors, and just know alot of folks have good luck with their Sunies, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I don't want to derail your thread, as you are looking for flag info. I just wanted to wish you well after getting wrapped up in the rest of your post (outside of the flag question.) Best of luck to you guys and ....

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Plastisol would work,but think about vinyl too. I know the cutter will be another expense, but it will open a lot of avenues for you. Good luck. .... JB

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
actually, my wife has a Pazzles machine for her scrapbooking that I believe is essentially a cutter/plotter. it will accept anything up to a 8 1/2inch width

I've read only very little about vinyl- is it heat pressed on the substrate as well?

also, as far as technique with the press, should I place something under the flag like a mousepad to help raise the area to be printed above the seams?

again thanks to all for the advice and welcomes

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
actually, my wife has a Pazzles machine for her scrapbooking that I believe is essentially a cutter/plotter. it will accept anything up to a 8 1/2inch width

I've read only very little about vinyl- is it heat pressed on the substrate as well?

also, as far as technique with the press, should I place something under the flag like a mousepad to help raise the area to be printed above the seams?

again thanks to all for the advice and welcomes
Yes they make heat press vinyl. I'm not sure if your machine will work, but ir's worth a try. I would use a mouse pad to help with the seams. ... JB

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
There is some one here that uses Vinyl on flags, and she makes lots of them may be I can find the link and you could ask her how she makes them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome Chris, I'm the flag maker David was referring too :D

You're right about all the helpful people here, all their knowledge is absolutely priceless! Even tough I don't post much I read EVERY day.

I print on Nylon an Polyester woven flags, haven't tested the poly knit "car" type flag yet though. I do know that the vinyl works great! Just be sure to purchase a vinyl that is compatible with the type of fabric you are using. Not doing so can lead to the vinyl not sticking well an peeling in the wind whip. For Nylon I really love hotmark 70 sold by richardsonssupply.com and for woven polyester the eco film or easy weed from Imprintables Warehouse works great. The thicker films when applied to the loose woven fabrics tend to seep through the weave and leave a visible "glue" residue on the back.

It is very helpful to purchase a tee pad and cut it to fit between the seams and edges so that you get a very smooth surface to press on. Without the pressing surface being raised to where the edges and seams do not cause extra thickness you can get spots close to the edge that do not stick.

For large jobs or for multi color jobs I do get them screen printed, I have not found a plastisol transfer that is compatible with nylon yet. But since you are using poly that may be an option?

Someone in an earlier post referred to the flags holding at highway speeds...
Very true! if you are looking for a flag for people to fly on their cars all of the time definitely make sure they are made for highway speed wind whip or the edges will be shredded in a matter of days.:mad:

Vinyl is an excellent option for one to three color flag jobs. A good vinyl cutter, a good quality vinyl, a good weeding tool (seam ripper works great!) and a little patience is the key.

I also have one of those dreaded "cheap" presses, it works but soon, very soon.... I will be able to afford a good one. :rolleyes:

Good luck, there is a market for this type of product. I just sent 50 flags to a high school in California. Didn't question what a high school is going to use 50 ATV flags for :rolleyes: but if they are buying....

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi. Another way of printing on car flags, is by sublimation printing. The suppliers are now stocking these car flags as a regular stock item.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Purely out of curiosity, how do these car flags hold up to direct sunlight?

Looking at the sublimation ones, I think the flimsy mounts would give way long before the flag itself did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts