T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have an understanding of what halftones are after several videos etc. Looks like some cool design and effects with this process. I am still kind aof lost but Im learning daily :0)

Can someone tell me what software I need for the halftones to be printed? I see some 500 dollar ones and Im just lookign to try this process out, if I likeit Ill buy the expensive software. Which leads me to my questions,

1. what software is everyone using? is there an opensource?
2. Does it always have to be an add on like to Photoshop etc or is there standalone software?
3. If i import say a color logo in, will it just auto out the separations also?

thanks greatly for any help given to a total newbie coming from the sign side.

Markus

· Registered
4,694 Posts
There are a lot of ways to approach this. The best will depend on what you have now and what you want to do.

What software do you use to make your art now?

You might want to start simple and convert a grayscale image to a black and white halftone. That's a good way to learn the basics of dot gain, screen angle, and LPI. CorelDraw (and others) can do that without anything additional.

For color halftones and more complex images, there are ways to do it "by hand" in some programs, but you may prefer a helpful tool. I use SimpleSeps Raster and SimpleSeps SmartRIP, which are add-ons for CorelDraw. The combined feature set is good, and I consider the price to be reasonable.

I'm not familiar with what is available for Adobe products.

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks you for responding.

As I am coming from the sign and vinyl side, I use Flexisign Pro for 95% and illustrator for 5%-- lol, mainly for opening ai files and getting them to Flexi

No corel draw tho :0(
I also have GIMP installed but havent used it much.

I was hoping to find a standalone but I guess Ill have to start looking for AI. Problem is I am currently trying to learn several soft wares with new 3d printer etc.

I looked pretty good around here, the search feature isn't very good :0( and on you tube. I have a 4 color Riley Hopkins and have gotten 4 colors down good. I have an Epson artistian printer with black max. Im looking to learn new facets of screen printing

thank you ,
Markus

· Registered
3,145 Posts
A simple explanation of a halftone is that it's a method of printing with one color of ink and simulating shades of gray. A black and white photo in a newspaper looks like a photo but if you look closely with a magnifying glass you'll see that the whole thing is printed in black ink and the gray shades are simulated by using different sized dots of that black ink.

You need a Postscript file and some type of RIP (raster image processor) or a Postscript printer for printing a halftone. CorelDraw has I think one of the most useful features for creating ps files and designating specific dot size, screen angle and dot shape. From there you can use a free program called Ghostscript/ Ghostview to print your films.

Gimp has a distort feature called "newsprint" that (kind of) simulates halftone dots and although it's rather limited it might be a step in the right direction. I really recommend CorelDraw and it doesn't need to be the latest version. The "print to postscript" command has been available since at least as far back as version X3 so you might find a used CorelDraw program on Ebay for much less than buying it new.

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Understood..I am an established vinyl shop so I understand business 😀 With buying new software also comes the time to learn it. I was hoping for a 1 stop program you could input image and pop out your proof....from what I all reading the phantasim(sp) add on for illustrator is the stuff...I think I will need a RIP tho..

It all gets confusing lol...thank you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.