T-Shirt Forums banner

newbie got some questions please

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Doby 
#1 ·
hey im new to this and im currently in high school. i want run a lil business in school selllin custom printed shirts. as u know bein in high school i can't afford big high end machines $300-1000+.

so i was wondering if i should start with the ex press heatpressplans.com, do you think i will be able to get money with this? any one have reviews?

also what/where/who should i start with transfers and shirts. i have a HP 2410 printer is that allright

sorry for too many question but im newbie :D

#4 ·
I have no experience with the press you are looking at, but I can't imagine a home built, wooden press would work very well...but I could be totally wrong. I have a Hix Hobby Lite press, and for low volumes, and print sized no larger than 8x11, it works quite well. You could probably pick one up on eBay for les than $300.

As far as your printer goes, your HP will not give you good results. HP, and most other printers on the market use dye based inks. If you print your shirt with dye based inks, your shirts WILL bleed and fade considerably after a washing. The printer of choice for t-shirts is an Epson, they use pigment inks that will not bleed when washed. The C series Stylus printers from Epson is a good place to start on a low budget. I just picked up a spare C66 on eBay for around $45 shipped, and it does a fine job.

Good luck!

#5 ·
How are the base prices? Do they really leave enough room for profit?
They have a US version at www.spreadshirt.com with the prices listed there. There's always room for profit :) Since they are handling some of the risk factors (blanks, equipment, payment processing), the profit margin will be smaller for you since you are paying for a service, but there is still a profit to be made :)

#6 ·
I think you need to listen to Chadds. He is right on. Don't buy a press based on the fact that it is what you feel a good price. My advice would be to get an epson printer for about 80 bucks and heat press for about 650. if you don't have the money then go to your parents and give them a business plan about what you are going to do and what you expect to make. If you were my son/daughter and did that I would help you and encourage you in every way. Just so you understand that your going to go into business.. take it serous. When I was 14 I made a flyer and went to every house in the neighborhood and gave them a price for cutting their lawns on the weekend. I got 10 customers. Then I went to my father and told him haw much I would be making. he went out and bought a power lawn mower as we had an old push one. he benefited because I paid him for the lawn mower every week. And I made money to play with.

#7 ·
Here's another thought for you: Find a local printer/presser and get some pricing on what he/she would charge you to make some t-shirts that you design. Either buy the shirts at first to re-sell or design a flyer with your designs on shirts and presell before you sink your $$ into either a press or printed shirt inventory. Just getting started, I wouldn't risk quality and making a name for yourself by using a press that really isn't geared for quality results. Heat transfers are very dependent on time, temperature & pressure, and you need a commercial grade machine to nail down these factors. Otherwise you risk durability for sure. I was walking the beachfront in Ft Lauderdale back in February and saw a guy with a kiosk set up with a wooden press in the center. His shirt designs were peeling off before they were even washed. Not a good image to portray:(

#8 · (Edited)
ok so i should look in to a little more professional heat press but my price range is about up to $250, what do you guys reccomend? and for the printer what C series are in 80 or below price range on ebay? yeah im really on a tight budget to this, my parents told me they don't want any part in this so im on my own

thks alot for help guys i really appreciate it

basically a little background of what im goin to be using for is

not a big business, just a order placed and order made business. this would be done in my house.

G
#9 ·
as far as a couple months ago when I bought 2 of them the c82 printers which use the Durabrite ink ... However they are discontinued so you might want to look into something that is still made. Out of the 2 that I bought one of them was subpar and the other worked fine so I guess its kind of a hit or miss... You can still get the ink for these printers at any staples

#12 ·
chadds said:
I have no experience with the press you are looking at, but I can't imagine a home built, wooden press would work very well...but I could be totally wrong. I have a Hix Hobby Lite press, and for low volumes, and print sized no larger than 8x11, it works quite well. You could probably pick one up on eBay for les than $300.

As far as your printer goes, your HP will not give you good results. HP, and most other printers on the market use dye based inks. If you print your shirt with dye based inks, your shirts WILL bleed and fade considerably after a washing. The printer of choice for t-shirts is an Epson, they use pigment inks that will not bleed when washed. The C series Stylus printers from Epson is a good place to start on a low budget. I just picked up a spare C66 on eBay for around $45 shipped, and it does a fine job.

Good luck!
Hi, Every one !

Just an update about the HP Inks I just printed my first transfers with the new
HP # 57 pigment ink WOW! Colors were just as bright as the epson with no
yellowing left behind . So it costs a little more. No fade no bleed. I used a iron all trans. paper washed the shirt 4 times no change and soft!. as of now the ink is only on the net I bought mine at the hp store,DO NOT confuse it with the reg 57
It is 57 Viera ink .
So Hp does have pigment ink now.

Have fun
fred

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.