T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
Will be happy to offer my life story & how I will be a millionaire with this business AFTER I get through throwing this heat press out the window! I have problems, and hopefully, someone can help me. (ple-e-ase!)
Our church is having a revival. I design T Shirts. I decided to have a table with blank T shirts & customers can pick out design & I will heat press on the spot. The church is letting me use their heat press. (Have never seen one, much less operated one. But, thought, how hard can it be?) In return, I am supposed to put my design on about 30 shirts for our teens to sell during revival.
Here is what I have/using:
T Shirts) White, many diff. brands, got at AdAir
"5.5oz or higher"
Transfer paper) Jet Light (orig. Jet Pro)
Printer)Dell Injet
Heat Press) Quik Set
Have tried 100 different things. Here is what I am doing:
Press temp) 300 - 350
Time) 15 sec - 30 sec
Pressure) No way to explain. Sometimes soft, sometimes hard.
Here is the problem(s) I am having:
T Shirt and Transfer paper is turning brown
When peel, part of design still on paper
I am on a MAJOR time frame. I am supposed to deliver about 30 shirts to the teens tomorrow, no later than Saturday. Our revival starts Sunday, and hopefully, I can sell a zillion shirts.
Can anyone please help me? :eek:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello everyone!
Will be happy to offer my life story & how I will be a millionaire with this business AFTER I get through throwing this heat press out the window! I have problems, and hopefully, someone can help me. (ple-e-ase!)
Our church is having a revival. I design T Shirts. I decided to have a table with blank T shirts & customers can pick out design & I will heat press on the spot. The church is letting me use their heat press. (Have never seen one, much less operated one. But, thought, how hard can it be?) In return, I am supposed to put my design on about 30 shirts for our teens to sell during revival.
"5.5oz or higher"
Printer)Dell Injet
Heat Press) Quik Set
Press temp) 300 - 350
Time) 15 sec - 30 sec
I am on a MAJOR time frame. I am supposed to deliver about 30 shirts to the teens tomorrow, no later than Saturday. Our revival starts Sunday, and hopefully, I can sell a zillion shirts.

1. I think the temperature might be little too high-- 324 should be good enough.

2. Time should be about 7 seconds.

3. Not familiar with Jet Light brand, but some papers are for 100% cotton and/or 50/50 garment type. Check on the paper info.

4. Maybe the ink that you use is not for heat transfer?

Still in trouble? Call the place that you purchased the papers from and see what they say.

I had trouble once when using vinyl heat transfer... the manufacturer instructed to press it for 30 seconds and my White vinyl turned Pink on Maroon colored Polyester jerseys. It turned out that the time should be for 7 seconds and they still have that inserts on those vinyl rolls. So, beware what came with the packs.

I use 7 seconds for other types transfer paper and they all came out fine.

I recommend getting more practice on using the heat transfer machine before the event :eek:

Good luck!!

-- Olde Lady

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello everyone!
"5.5oz or higher"
Printer)Dell Injet
Heat Press) Quik Set
Press temp) 300 - 350
Time) 15 sec - 30 sec

Teflon sheet between the press and the shirt may help.

After this... check the press and make sure there's no residue on the press because that might get on the shirts. It might look like burn marks residue that you make get from ironing.

Good Luck!!

-- Olde Lady

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info! But, anything less than 15 seconds doesn't transfer worth a poo. And any temp under 350 doesn't either up to 20 seconds. At 350 for 20 seconds, I get a good print, but now I have brown everywhere the top press hits the shirt.

I FINALLY pressed for 30 sec at 350 and put one layer of shirt on top of the paper (between paper and top press). Did the design in far lower left corner. That seemed to really cut down on the brown, but you can still see it if you look. The print did pretty good, with just a few specks. Of course, the top layer was brown as brown can get!

I found a site that said this paper was NOT for cotton. My shirts are at least 50/50, most 100%. I went back to the site I got the paper from. Absolutely nothing about cotton. I have been chatting with them all day. They finally referred me to their tech dept. Tech dept has no clue. Went over everything, including tshirt material and printer and ink. Nadda.

I think I am using a press older than Noah, maybe has hot & cold spots, and just doesn't like me!

Again, many thanks on the reply!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the info! But, anything less than 15 seconds doesn't transfer worth a poo. And any temp under 350 doesn't either up to 20 seconds. At 350 for 20 seconds, I get a good print, but now I have brown everywhere the top press hits the shirt.

I FINALLY pressed for 30 sec at 350 and put one layer of shirt on top of the paper (between paper and top press). Did the design in far lower left corner. That seemed to really cut down on the brown, but you can still see it if you look. The print did pretty good, with just a few specks. Of course, the top layer was brown as brown can get!

I found a site that said this paper was NOT for cotton. My shirts are at least 50/50, most 100%. I went back to the site I got the paper from. Absolutely nothing about cotton. I have been chatting with them all day. They finally referred me to their tech dept. Tech dept has no clue. Went over everything, including tshirt material and printer and ink. Nadda.

I think I am using a press older than Noah, maybe has hot & cold spots, and just doesn't like me!

Again, many thanks on the reply!
Your end products sounded "Crispy" !

Sorry, couldn't help much :(

Good luck!

-- Olde Lady

·
Registered
42 Posts
pressure, how hard do you have to push to close the press, and try to pre heat the shirt. 7-10 sec @345 should do the trick
Yeah... I don't know what she meant by "sometime soft and sometime hard". The heat press machine should be able to be locked and released on the time that was set. Mine set for 3 seconds and released for pre-heat, and 7 seconds then released again.

Maybe she should adjust the knob to tightening and make sure that the press is totally on a 180 angle/ Flat position for even coverage of heat?

I am confused :confused:

-- Olde Lady

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah... I don't know what she meant by "sometime soft and sometime hard". The heat press machine should be able to be locked and released on the time that was set. Mine set for 3 seconds and released for pre-heat, and 7 seconds then released again.

Maybe she should adjust the knob to tightening and make sure that the press is totally on a 180 angle/ Flat position for even coverage of heat?

I am confused :confused:

-- Olde Lady
Would love to try that, but, again, this machine is old and has no adjustments except for temp. Has timer, but that is broken. So, both timing and pressure is totally manual.

Therefore, if I am planning on a 15 sec time frame, one time might actually be 14 1/2 sec, then the next might be 15 1/2 sec. But, I don't think that would really make a difference.

My husband ordered a new machine yesterday while I was gone & is having it delivered today. Guess he thought spending that money was better than me going "menapausal" on this venture! He is thinking there is something on the top press that can't be removed. So, when it's delivered, we will give it a try.

But, even with a new machine, I wonder if I will still have the paper not being compatible with these shirts, or the shirts having some heat-sensitive ingredient mixed in that turns brown. I have read both issues.

Has anyone else had problems with either the Jet Light paper on cotton fabric or with t shirts having some type of ingredient that turns brown with heat?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Some heat presses have temp set for degrees C and some for F, you might check that. If it does not look the shirt and paper got cooked, but looks like wayward ink, check the top platen, you can use parchment paper between the platen and shirt, or as some suggested buy some teflon, but parchment can be purchased at the grocery store and works great!It sounds like your burning the paper though.

Alan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got new machine in. Perfect 1st time around! Borrowed machine back to whence it came. Let them deal with the demons in it!

Thanks to everyone that offered advise! (even Mr. Crispy! Sometimes a little laugh helps!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts