T-Shirt Forums banner

Newbie: General recommendations for starting an 'urbanlike' line

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mit 
#1 ·
I stumbled on this forum today and in 2 hours have got more information than I had in 2 weeks searching on the internet.

My company is based in the Miami, FL area. We currently have a website selling Jamaican products, of which a few are t-shirts. Our frustration with not finding the 'right' designs has lead us to start our own line. Our market is similar to the urban/hiphop market (it is reggae/dancehall), so we are looking for high quality mens and ladies t-shirts, similar to Akademiks, Ecko, Enyce, etc. We will do the designs, and outsource everything else.

Ideally, to begin with, we would like to contract a company that could print our designs on their existing stock (white, red, gold, black) t-shirts, affix our labels, hangtags, etc. In a nutshell, we would send our designs, and the products would be shipped back to us...ready for the end user.

I would appreciate all suggestions, as I am a newbie in this area. Thanks in advance, and I'm looking forward to being a part of this great community:) .

#4 ·
mit said:
Our market is similar to the urban/hiphop market (it is reggae/dancehall), so we are looking for high quality mens and ladies t-shirts, similar to Akademiks, Ecko, Enyce, etc. We will do the designs, and outsource everything else.
This may not be ideal for everyone and it will involve some pessos but its a quick over view.

The market you talk about is not a cheap venture.

A fast-track way to get your stuff made (you will still learn about everything as you go) is to hire a consultant in the Branding or Brand re-vamp biz. The have all the contacts you need to compete against Ecko for example.

You set up a meeting, bring all the sketches, fabric samples, and ALL the details so that the person can get a CLEAR idea of what your Brand is all about.

In the event it all goes well, the person will then get a manufacturer to cut/sew samples etc...

From there, when all is production ready they do a test market to determine the potential of the brand in the market place. Short and long term.

From there they hook up the brand with a sales agency that will go on the street and get a orders/feed back etc.

....and so on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.