T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to embroidery, im so new to it I dont even know how to. So if you guys could give me some ways I can start learning. How did you start?

:)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I bought a embroidery machine then went to the fabric store.Started 2 years ago and have been learning from forums just like this one.Read and read and read some more.Look into a forum about the brand of embroidery machine you are interested in usually lots of tips and insight about the brand.Most companies will offer schools and classes.Don't cheap out and buy a "home"unit.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
The biggest thing is to stay calm and with practice you will be fine. When you have a issue, just post your problem and someone or many someones will help you out. I remember my first days of embroidery some 13+ yrs ago and I have came a long way. I still manage to learn a new trick every once and a while. .... JB

·
Registered
675 Posts
Attend a trade show & check out different models. Get the good commercial machine if you're serious; the home machines are OK, but you have a lot more options with the commercial brands. Start with a single head; some companies offer in house training. Then you just practice & learn. Start with small jobs, such as names, and then move up. Proper hooping is probably the most common mistake, if not done correctly, it can give you thread breaks, needle breaks, and lots of grief. Second most common issue is thread tension; making sure you have the proper "tension" between the top embroidery thread & bottom bobbin thread. It's all practice & asking questions, but not really hard to learn.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I did a lot of reading before I started (largely because it took me a long time to get insurance because I'm near the coast). There are numerous free trade publications such as Stitches, Printwear: The Magazine for the Business of Decorated Apparel and The Decorated Apparel and Promotional Products Resource. Also there are many online forums and specific help groups for different machines such as FreeLists / Amaya Users and SWFmachines : SWF embroidery machines . The Embroidery Mall THE EMBROIDERY MALL also contains lots of information. I also had the chance to attend an ISS show Imprinted Sportwear Shows and attend classes at SWF East. In addition, a family friend who had been in the business for ten years showed me the basics.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I bought a embroidery machine then went to the fabric store.Started 2 years ago and have been learning from forums just like this one.Read and read and read some more.Look into a forum about the brand of embroidery machine you are interested in usually lots of tips and insight about the brand.Most companies will offer schools and classes.Don't cheap out and buy a "home"unit.
I did the same thing except I did start out with a home unit. Not because I was being cheap, but because I didn't want a large investment in something I wasn't sure I was going to like or stick with it.

I did a lot of reading of forums, especially when it was time to put my home unit away (which I still use for small jobs) and get my "big girl" machines.

When I was working fulltime, it was hard for us to get away to trade shows, but once we started going, it was a real eye opener. And Stitches magazine is very helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts