T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds here, but I saw another user doing this so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I've recently revamped my site and would like to know thoughts on it. Just any good or bad criticism would be very appreciated (try to be constructive please).

www.clarkillustrations.com
if you didn't see it in my sig, I am an artist here on the forum.

Thanks to everyone for their time!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Had a look at your website. I would say it is overal a bit dark. I think the T shirt part suffers most as the tonal values are all similar (outside and inside the shirt) and it's not helping the shirts at all. It's all a bit gloomy and intense. I can see why you've done that - to complement some of the artwork but I think maybe something more soothing might lift the graphics. (A Jackson Pollock frame around a Jackson Pollock painting wouldn't help it much.) It's also very 'jumpy' as I click around. I'm at work - but this PC usually copes okay with webpages so it might be worth checking how its working with others. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey A.I.T. your site is interesting to say the least. You've obviously put a lot of time, effort and care into your site and you illustrations.

There are a few nit-picky things that I would avoid as a graphic designer.

The typography of your Clark Illustration logo completely clashes with the style of the site and the typography of your navigation. I would pick one style or the other.

The background of your homepage with blue on top and red on the bottom is distracting from your wonderful illustration on the navigation links. IMO all you need is those four great category boxes and your logo over black or a subdued dark pattern.

Consistant navigation at the top or left on all of the pages would be nice.

I get frustrated with web designers adding things to websites simply because they can. Less is more. Your website should be about your illustration. Let them shine because they are wonderful. Don't hide them in flashy web tricks. The organic, freehand illustration will make your site stand out all on its own.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey A.I.T. your site is interesting to say the least. You've obviously put a lot of time, effort and care into your site and you illustrations.

There are a few nit-picky things that I would avoid as a graphic designer.

The typography of your Clark Illustration logo completely clashes with the style of the site and the typography of your navigation. I would pick one style or the other.

The background of your homepage with blue on top and red on the bottom is distracting from your wonderful illustration on the navigation links. IMO all you need is those four great category boxes and your logo over black or a subdued dark pattern.

Consistant navigation at the top or left on all of the pages would be nice.

I get frustrated with web designers adding things to websites simply because they can. Less is more. Your website should be about your illustration. Let them shine because they are wonderful. Don't hide them in flashy web tricks. The organic, freehand illustration will make your site stand out all on its own.

I would have to agree ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, a lot of great advice!

• *Question* - What are everyone's thoughts about completely removing the side-scrolling bars and clickable-previews on the pages, and instead just listing the images vertically top-bottom, like how it looks in the Concept Art section?
Unfortunately I won't be able to make much of these changes yet. When I first started the site, my budget was limited (and still is). The web designer was cheap and since then I've made a lot of changes to make it better, so I'll need to wait a while before it's ready for serious renovations again.

The reason the site gets choppy at times is because I opted out of using Flash, and the way the coding works is very difficult to make smooth. Maybe I'll eventually just get rid of the side-scrolling bars to the left...

As for the fonts, I might actually change that part of the site. I've been toning it down ever since it was first started, and the more I look, the more I agree it should be stream-lined. It'll get there eventually, but for now I just can't afford the time/money to completely change the layout of a page :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here is what i think ,

1. Since you have some great artwork, why dont you design yourself a nice logo for you?

2. as someone else said stick to 1 or 2 fonts except when its a menu and a logo, those should be closer .

3. You dont need flash so things arent choppy, depending on the language you have this site written in. I think that you would find that the introduction of a database to your site would help out the smoothness cause with the use of a database and php you can only write 1 page that calls the database and gets all your products and only calls yours static HTML 1 time instead of having to reload it with each page.

I am a webdesigner, not by trade, by hobby for right now and i have worked on sites for my friends like BogusArmy.com (thats one i made from SCRATCH all codes are mine.

4. I would definately give this a sleeker facelift to the design. Use a lot of css for a quicker site also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts