T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think I may have pioneered a new decorating technique. All you need to do this one is a heat press, vinyl cutter, design software and some basic supplies.

The process is called Reverse Embossing.

First you need a design on the garment that has a raised appearance. I have used puff heat transfer maetrial, but I'd venture to say flock or direct embroidery would accomplish the same purpose.

So - create this piece and heat press it to your hat, t-shirt, hoodie or whatever.

Now cut an overlay shape or design out of your favorite brand of heat press vinyl. I like the way metallic colors look with this, so I used Eco-Film Electric Orange. Register this cut shape over your already done puffed up design and heat press it for the recommended time and temperature for the film. Apply slightly more pressure than what is called for to account for the material pressing down over the edges.

You've just reverse embossed!

Try it out:) It's durable too!

Here are some photos of my fun experiment - please post any comments or questions:

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Hey Josh,

Thank you for posting this, that looks really Great! Do you think you will be washing this shirt to see how it holds up over a little time?

Thanks again... if there was a "thanks" button, I'd click it for you. =)

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have a few companies I do this for for their company logo, it works a treat!

Looks great and washability is as good as any other vinyl design, that said I prefer to use a slightly heavy (thicker) vinyl such as the stahls just to prevent cracking around the edge of the "embossed" logo

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Thanks Josh!!!

Looks awesome!

....if I use a "silicone-flex-pad", will this help mold it flatter around the edges???

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures from a some trials we did with this technique last Friday during our VersaCamm class. There are two pictures of a skull puff material with print reflect material on top of it and one of a puff skull with opaque solutions covering it. Very cool stuff! Thanks Josh for the idea!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Hi ScubaSteve,

Those looks awesome!! Looks like you are having some fun. How did the lines appear on the skull like that? It looks great. Why does it look different from Josh's? I think I just thought of an answer. Is it because you are printing on the vinyl with the versacamm and then putting it over the embossing layer? If that guess is right, how did you line it up like that? If I'm all washed up, please enlighten this curious mind!! :D

Thanks for sharing, everyone. This is great. I am now glad that I bought the 45* and 60*. Would I use the 60* blade to cut what would go underneath? (I am hoping so. :))

Thank you again! :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
grrrrr I'm beginning to hate this forum. the moment I learn something Mr.Josh comes out with another rabbit from his hat.
Thanks Josh, I'm sure some members will do some great designs with your idea.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Kelly,
The design on top was printed. It was a bit of work to line things up and I think that on the next test I will cut out the interior of the eyes to make it work better. Basically I applied the puff (it was cut with a 45 blade) and then after the first press to make it puff up some, aligned the top print with the ends of the bones by feel. I am trying to figure out a better, easier way to do the alignment but nothing has popped into my head yet. I am sure it will come to me in a rush while I am driving or something like that. I spend way to much time on the road and that seems to be where my best ideas come up!

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Aww, haha, well thank you so much, Steve. I really appreciate the info. I hope you have the answer come to you, in the meantime, if I hear or see something out there that deals with it, then I'll pass the info your way. Have a great day, safe driving! :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Puff heat transfer?? Have I been in a dark closet? lol I haven't heard of this yet. Does it puff up after heating? Is it a printable paper for inkjets or??? Can anyone enlighten me? Josh, if you carry this I may have to email you for a sample to try out.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Heidi,
The puff material from Imprintables (Josh) is a printable and cut material that can also be just cad cut for white puff designs or making something like we have shown above. It is called Puff Print and can be purchased from Imprintables Warehouse. When you first apply it it puffs slightly but with every heat press hit after that it puffs more. I have gotten it to puff pretty darn high before, almost .25 inches. Very cool stuff!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Is there a trick to getting height out of the puff material? I tried it and it came out slightly raised no as high as your sample image. It looks like a great concept and would like to incorporate it into our line

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is there a trick to getting height out of the puff material? I tried it and it came out slightly raised no as high as your sample image. It looks like a great concept and would like to incorporate it into our line
You may need to increase your temperature - also the Puff material reacts differently on various fabrics - my sample was done on cotton.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.