T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an embroidery business with a little heat press stuff on the side. I made my husband, who is in the military, a flannel rag quilt a few years ago with pics of us on it to take on a deployment. I didn't have my heat press at the time so I used the stuff from the office stores. It was ok but after 9 months and too many ships washes it looks pretty crummy. He is deploying again later this year and now that I have advanced to the heat press world I thought I would make him a new one. Anyone have any recommendations for paper and where to get it? I just have a canon pixma printer so if you don't think that will work then I will consider maybe having someone else print the pics for me. Thanks you guys rock!

Kim

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
If you want something that's going to hang tough through a lot of washes, you might want to consider sublimation transfers. Those, however, do only work with 100% polyester fabric, and I know a lot of quilters prefer cotton. There is a solution for cotton called ChromaBlast and that is fairly durable as well. It also creates transfers. You do need special ink and paper to print either of these options, and the ink is only offered in cartridges for certain printers.

If you don't want to invest in a system yourself, you might have some luck finding a business that does sublimation transfers and seeing if they would print the transfers for you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think if u use a better quality paper you should be fine. I used paper I got from wal-mart and it sucked. I found a site called transferpepercanada.com and got neehan jetpro softstrech for my white t's and it worked great. I guess it all depends how much you want to spend. I dont know the wash life of the transfer, you would have to call and ask.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Ok so I guess I need to find someone to do cromablast for me. Can they print them and I press them?
The transfers stay viable for quite a while, so I don't see why you couldn't have someone press them and then you print them when necessary. Just make sure you store them in a non-humid area if possible.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is what I was thinking. Since I have a heat press I should be able to press them myself. Now just need to find someone that can do them :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts