T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - Im new to this t-shirt world..so I know virtually nothing about what im tking about at the minute.
Im looking at doing a little part time t-shirt making, but to be honest im not even sure what i need in order to start.

I know I need a Heat Press. I have saw this one on ebay Ilink below) but im not sure if its a good one or not ! Can you advise me? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7538592973&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Do I need a cutter/plotter too ? I think i do, but im not totaly sure. If I do need one then theres one also on ebay (again link below) but im not if it's suitable either ?!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7539089822&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

I just want to design good quality images on the PC and then get them onto a shirt...any help would be greatly appreciated !

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The hear pres looks ok, but that doesnt mean anything. It is a no name brand from what I can see. Some small company probably fabricated it from various manufacturers parts. As far as the plotter, it is nice to have one, but you could also use plasticol transfers, which would be a cheaper start up cost since you are just starting out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plasticol transfers are where you use a printer linked to your PC, am i right? Are they limited in the colours they can output ?

What would be the main advantages of using a plotter over this plasticol method?
I can afford a plotter (been saving up for a while to invest in something like this!)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Plasticol transfers where a pvc based ink is screen printed onto a wax paper. You can then transfer them onto dark fabric. first-edition.com is innexpensive for this type of transfer. Ink jet transfers are for light fabrics only, and they do not limit your color at all. T-Shirts made with a plotter are a slightly lower quality than t-shirts made with plasticol transfers. If you would like to spend the money on a plotter, go for it, but a cheaper way to start with less risk capital would be plasticol transfers. The vinyl for plotters is not innexpensive either. The vinyl costs are probably more expensive than plasticol transfers. The main advantage of the plotter is that you can make one dark shirt transfer at a time. With plasticol, you will nead to order a of a few dozen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im kinda confused.
Say I create a design on the PC, whats the next stage in the "getting it onto the t-shirt process"..? (Using the Plasticol method.)

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
It'll need to be few colors to be resonably priced (1 or 2 colors generally). Then submit your design and specifications to a shop that can do plastisol orders such was first-edition.com or silvermountaingraphics.com. They'll ship you out some transfers which can be applied to dark shirts using a heat press.

If you are only doing transfers on to light-colored shirts (white, natural, ash...) then you can use normal transfer paper which can be purchased online from places such at persoonalizedsupplies.com T9he Magic Jet/Transket II paper is the best available from what I've seen and heard). This paper can be printed off one sheet at a time if you want, and can do any number of colors, but again you can only use it for light shirts. If you go this route, you'll want an Epson printer with some form of pigmented ink.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So for light coloured shirts you just need a PC and a Printer right?
But for dark shirts you need to use other methods..such as Plastisol or using a plotter/cutter right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts