T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I'm new to heat transfer printing and am having some trouble with my setup. Currently I'm using an Epson 7010 with stock inks and TransferJet inkjet paper. The problem that I'm having is the colors are coming out terrible on the shirts and I notice that there is a lot of yellow color on the transfer paper when it's removed.

What am I doing wrong here??

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I don't think the 7010 comes with the proper ink for transfers. Transfers require pigment ink. Most Epsons have it but not all.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using T-Shirt Forums

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it's called "TransferJet". I've tried a few different settings on the print side and have messed around with the heat and duration as well. For some reason the color just doesn't come out worth a damn.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Actually, some inks will have a color shift, even pigment when pressed & it's usually yellow. I'm fairly certain that's the issue. I believe there's actually specific transfer ink that will not shift when pressed. Personally, I'm not certain the shift affects the colors enough to be noticeable, other than to those who already know the difference. I believe durabrite inks are known for this issue.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hopefully, the Printer Scientists in the group will help you out. I'll ask one more question, though. What are your printer settings?

I found (on two printers), that things worked out well using the Epson default settings. I have yellow on my paper after pressing, but the color (including yellow) has been fine. I'm probably not very helpful, but at least I've given your post a bump!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hey folks. I'm new to heat transfer printing and am having some trouble with my setup. Currently I'm using an Epson 7010 with stock inks and TransferJet inkjet paper. The problem that I'm having is the colors are coming out terrible on the shirts and I notice that there is a lot of yellow color on the transfer paper when it's removed.

What am I doing wrong here??

I have no experience with TRANSJET paper but I do have a 7010, I do use stock ink (durabrite) is pigment ink and JPSS paper, and as I am sure you will get a followup from the transfer paper gurus is seems Epsons stock inks have issues with yellow shifting. I get very good color with lite cottons and JPSS. I usually use premium matte paper settings. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the replies so far. I've got some JPSS transfers on order, but they won't be here until the end of the week. I've had the best luck so far printing from Illustrator using the photo glossy or photo matte paper settings on best quality. I've got the color adjustments turned off on the printer as well. None of the colors are coming out very good is the problem so far. I feel like it's something simple, but just don't quite know what it is.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have heard that Epson adds chemicals to their inks to make the shelf life longer. This is what causes the yellowing. Since I switched to Cobra inks I have not had this problem. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'll consider myself lucky. The last JPSS (couple months ago) I used on a white shirt with yellow came out exactly the yellow I expected. Other colors (black, green, red, blue were fine, too...think colors out of the Crayola 8 box). Sometimes, things just seem to be hit or miss. I'm using the Epson's Durabrite ink.

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
Yea I guess since I've never used anything but Durabrite, I probably wouldn't know the difference. I do a good bit of B/W photos too so that would make it more difficult to know if its "shifting".

CalhTech>
You are not likely to see the yellow shift in B/W photos if you force grayscales/black/white in the Epson printer driver. This forces only the "K" ink to be used. Otherwise your grayscales end up made from composite combinations of CMY.

If there is any color at all in the otherwise B/W photo then this won't work.

·
Registered
775 Posts
You are not likely to see the yellow shift in B/W photos if you force grayscales/black/white in the Epson printer driver. This forces only the "K" ink to be used. Otherwise your grayscales end up made from composite combinations of CMY.

If there is any color at all in the otherwise B/W photo then this won't work.
I figure something like that. I am going to get me some of the Cobra Carts and bulk ink as I am starting to do more transfers. I also wanted to get some SUB ink for another Epson printer, hoping I will be able to do the carts and bulk ink too. As always, thanks for your input!

CalhTech>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.