T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, I am new to the T-Shirt Business and have so many questions...

Im 17yrs old and always have to have a new buisness going if my prior one doesnt turn out so well. I am a pilot and love to fly airplanes and share the joy of flying with everyone. IE.... My Flight Journey

Well I would love to know where to start .. Of course Im on a budget so I want to know what is vital for me to get.

I Want to be able to run a small buisness out of my room for locals to order general custom T's. I know Ill need a heat press and a vinyl cutter. But what else should i try to get one of those printers for sublimation stuff or stick with just regular old vinyl designs for now and build up?

Also

Heat Press?? what kind for a beginner price

Same with viynl cutters

(I have been looking at the USCutter 12" or 24" are those a good brand)

HELP and THANKS

Until Next Time
Ian

COMMENTS SO APPRECIATED

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got a Hix swingman 15x15 for under $650 and I love it. You need to consider space, if that's an issue, go with the clam style, but it gets hot under there, and it can be hard to fit the hood of a hoodie in that clam pinch part without burning your knuckles.

Theres nothing digital on the swingman 15, but for the price its a great beginner press. A screen printing company in my town bought his shop back in 1985 with Hix presses already there when he bought it, and he still uses those presses to this day, so thats pretty hard to beat for reliability.

Best advice, is read dozens and dozens of posts on this site, and you'll be golden with whatever you decide after your research.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you ill research that.....

just wondering about how you do your t shirts.... vinyl? sublimation? heat transfer paper>?

·
Registered
42 Posts
thank you ill research that.....

just wondering about how you do your t shirts.... vinyl? sublimation? heat transfer paper>?
Hix is a good brand for heat press machines. Roland is a good brand for vinyl cutter and get Stahls vinyl materials to go with that.

Vinyl heat press materials are good for non-details designs like numbers and simple texts.

The paper heat transfer materials are good for photographic type designs (painting, photographs, and images that requires background, etc.) They have ones for light and dark color garments and available in different sizes. The ink is very expensive and try to get Epson printer for this.

Sublimation is great for dog tags, brass sheets that you see on award plaques, mugs, and etc. The ink is pretty expensive. Get a specific printers for these too. Special software (SawGrass) and ink unit system must be used for this kind of production.

I hope this helps!
-- Olde Lady

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hix is a good brand for heat press machines. Roland is a good brand for vinyl cutter and get Stahls vinyl materials to go with that.

Vinyl heat press materials are good for non-details designs like numbers and simple texts.

The paper heat transfer materials are good for photographic type designs (painting, photographs, and images that requires background, etc.) They have ones for light and dark color garments and available in different sizes. The ink is very expensive and try to get Epson printer for this.

Sublimation is great for dog tags, brass sheets that you see on award plaques, mugs, and etc. The ink is pretty expensive. Get a specific printers for these too. Special software (SawGrass) and ink unit system must be used for this kind of production.

I hope this helps!
-- Olde Lady

Thank you ,..... one question i thought for heat transfer paper you can use regular inkjet printers is that true

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got a Hix swingman 15x15 for under $650 and I love it. You need to consider space, if that's an issue, go with the clam style, but it gets hot under there, and it can be hard to fit the hood of a hoodie in that clam pinch part without burning your knuckles.

Theres nothing digital on the swingman 15, but for the price its a great beginner press. A screen printing company in my town bought his shop back in 1985 with Hix presses already there when he bought it, and he still uses those presses to this day, so thats pretty hard to beat for reliability.

Best advice, is read dozens and dozens of posts on this site, and you'll be golden with whatever you decide after your research.

Don't forget that you have to buy sublimation papers to go with sublimation type of production. The products/ blanks must be for sublimation purpose as well.

-- Olde lady

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thank you ,..... one question i thought for heat transfer paper you can use regular inkjet printers is that true

Hmm... I never wanted to go on a cheap route because I wanted to do things correctly on the first trial. I do not recommend using regular ink jet printers because they are not made to handle multi production volume. The ink might not be suitable for t-shirts printing and the paper type. There are a start up Epson printer that you may use for heat transfers but it will eventually breakdown after high volume production. They called it the "Baby Printer" because they are not suitable for high volume production. However, there are ones that you get get such as the Epson 4800 series, which cost much more but will last you a long time. This one you can use for silk screen design as well.

I would recommend working in a silk screen place and see how they do the productions. You can learn from all of the text book materials but it is best to get the hands-on experience to totally understand and appreciate the process:)

-- Olde Lady

1 - 7 of 7 Posts