T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just getting into the business and researching the business side of things. My husband has a great idea for shirts, but I'm trying to find out what form of business to use, how to protect the designs, etc. The idea could produce potentially thousands of designs, but what if someone likes our idea and take off running with it before we can crank out all the designs? We don't want to design a thousand tee shirts without first testing the waters to see if it will catch on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm just getting into the business and researching the business side of things. My husband has a great idea for shirts, but I'm trying to find out what form of business to use, how to protect the designs, etc. The idea could produce potentially thousands of designs, but what if someone likes our idea and take off running with it before we can crank out all the designs? We don't want to design a thousand tee shirts without first testing the waters to see if it will catch on.
Do your homework. Look at the different methods of printing and see which best fit your business plan and designs.

Seriously consider using a contact printer. You wont have the investment in equipment (a plus) but you lose some control over the quality of the finished product. If it (they) are simple designs without much in the way of color matching, definitely look at having someone print them for you.

Good luck with your venture! Let me know if you have any questions. I have experience with silkscreening, DTG, and embroidery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When it comes to protecting your designs there is numerous costs incurred. Not to mention being in a position to pursue someone who infringes on your copyright. Just have a contract printer try a few of your designs and test the water, I wouldn't worry about copyrights or trademarks yet, unless your willing to invest tens of thousands of dollars. Just jump out there with your ideas and run with them, if you potentially can create thousands of designs then just keep coming out with new stuff,. someone copying your style could only promote the new designs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts