T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am new to T-Shirt forums and T-shirt heat press business, for start I purchased Heat Press 15x15 and Epson WF 7510 with sublimation ink, dark heat transfer paper and light heat transfer paper.
I print my company logo on Dark Heat Transfer Paper and I pressed that by T-shirt for 25 Sec at 360 F degree.
The first day output was pleasant but after week we did normal washing ,the t-shirt color faded and it was really frustrating.
And secondly after few days, when I printed a normal color check the color had almost 50% difference with dye ink.
Kindly let me know what did I do wrong in whole process?

Any of you guys reply are highly appreciate it.

Thanks

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Please see attached pictures, if you guys recognize the problem please please let me know.
As well If you guys guide me regarding T-shirts, what type (50/50, 65/35, or 100% Polyester) are preferable for Sublimation and Pigment Ink.

Thanks

Attachments

· Registered
319 Posts
It sounds like you have mixed up two different processes.

For sublimation, you need to use sublimation paper. The dark heat transfer paper and light heat transfer paper are for use with inkjet ink (or laser...depending upon the paper you purchased).

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like you have mixed up two different processes.

For sublimation, you need to use sublimation paper. The dark heat transfer paper and light heat transfer paper are for use with inkjet ink (or laser...depending upon the paper you purchased).
Thanks for your reply.
As you can see in pictures the color difference between sublimation ink and dye ink is it normal?? because the output of sublimation ink is almost 50% different and faded from desired colors.

· Registered
319 Posts
Sublimation ink printed on sublimation paper will look duller and less vibrant than it will after it has been sublimated into/into polyester.

Sublimation ink printed on sublimation paper is not the end of the process. To complete the process, the ink must be heated to a gas and the poly heated so the gas penetrates into the poly.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sublimation ink printed on sublimation paper will look duller and less vibrant than it will after it has been sublimated into/into polyester.

Sublimation ink printed on sublimation paper is not the end of the process. To complete the process, the ink must be heated to a gas and the poly heated so the gas penetrates into the poly.
As you said 'the ink must be heated to a gas and the poly heated so the gas penetrates into the poly' I didn't get it by this, is this the process which I have to do! And I am not familiar with this, how could I do this process is there any video or instruction for this?

· Registered
456 Posts
In your photos you tagged the ink as a dye ink, you need pigment ink for inkjet transfers, and inkjet paper such as JPSS. If you have 1 printer like you mentioned you should use one (sublimation ink) or the other (pigment ink) , do not change carts from one to the other. Mark

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In your photos you tagged the ink as a dye ink, you need pigment ink for inkjet transfers, and inkjet paper such as JPSS. If you have 1 printer like you mentioned you should use one (sublimation ink) or the other (pigment ink) , do not change carts from one to the other. Mark
Thank you so much Mark for your reply.
Yes, I have only one printer right now, and I have Sublimation Ink not Pigment Ink and I did print with Sublimation ink which results faded after washing.
And the picture which shows dye ink and sublimation ink that's just a test print to get the difference, which both colors are way different the dye ink output is Okay but sublimation ink output is unpleasant which is not matching with original design and colors, I am curious is it normal?

· Registered
2,977 Posts
Let's start with the basics. Heat transfer and sublimation are two entirely different methods of printing, even though they both use an inkjet printer and paper and a heat press. Sublimation requires specific sublimation paper, sublimation ink, and higher temps and pressure.

You cannot sublimate on cotton and if you use, say a 50/50 cotton/poly blend your image will be faded because the sublimation ink will only adhere to the polyester fabric. You might see it nicely right after printing but the first time you wash it, the image will fall off the cotton fibers.

Go to Conde.com and watch their videos on sublimation. Just the fact that you have a white image on a black shirt tells me you're using the wrong paper. If I'm wrong on that, I'll let you know.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Let's start with the basics. Heat transfer and sublimation are two entirely different methods of printing, even though they both use an inkjet printer and paper and a heat press. Sublimation requires specific sublimation paper, sublimation ink, and higher temps and pressure.

You cannot sublimate on cotton and if you use, say a 50/50 cotton/poly blend your image will be faded because the sublimation ink will only adhere to the polyester fabric. You might see it nicely right after printing but the first time you wash it, the image will fall off the cotton fibers.

Go to Conde.com and watch their videos on sublimation. Just the fact that you have a white image on a black shirt tells me you're using the wrong paper. If I'm wrong on that, I'll let you know.
Thanks a lot for your information.
I have both types of papers, a. sublimation papers for mugs and plates b. Dark/Light heat transfer papers for T-shirts and Caps .
I used Dark heat transfer printed by sublimation ink for black t-shirt which results faded after washing and as you see attached pictures I used light heat transfer paper printed by dye ink for 100% polyester and 100% Cotton, the result after washing is the same as after heat transfer but the 100% cotton shirt transferred result looks faded in some dots.

What type of fabric material are best for
NEENAH 3G Dark heat transfer paper
and JPSS Light heat transfer paper?

Kindly let me know.

And I really appreciate everyone reply over-here.

Attachments

· Registered
2,977 Posts
You cannot use sublimation ink on cotton or on regular heat transfer paper. Sublimation requires specific blanks as well as specific ink and paper. They must have a polyester coating. Shirts for sublimation are polyester. I suggest you go to CobraInk.com and buy some pigment ink for your printer along with refillable ink carts for it and some head cleaner. If you want to print on cotton use your transfer paper and pigment ink. Dye ink (not sublimation ink) will run and wash off when wet. To get some really nice, long lasting prints on cotton, use chromablast ink and paper. But I think it only works on light fabric unless the technology has changed since I last used it and they can print on dark fabrics.

You can't mix ink and papers. Sublimation ink is absorbed into the sublimation paper. When heat and pressure are applied to the paper while it is on a polyester shirt or other poly coated product, the heat turns the ink into a gas. The heat also causes the pores in the paper and substrate to open. The gas is then forced into the pores. Once heat and pressure are removed, the pores shut, thereby trapping the gas beneath the surface of the poly fabric or substrate.

Regular heat transfers simply put the ink on the surface of the fabric.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
not so much fabric, as ink

you need sublimation ink for mugs/plates/100% polyester garments with sublimation papers

you need pigment ink for jpss and 3g with inkjet papers
jpss works best with 50/50 white (or light tee's)
Thank you so much to all! without this forum and you guys I was totally lost, now It looks I am coming to right track, few hours back I had no knowledge at all, I ordered pigment ink with 3g and jpss papers.
Perhaps I need second printer for sublimation ink and sublimation papers too!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.