T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I found this site by accident when I was looking for info on starting a line of t-shirts. I have no experience in this business and know almost nothing about it. I do love t-shirts and have been thinking about this idea for several years.

The thing that bothers me most about t-shirts is the square or border effect (I don't know the technical term), but to me this can ruin an otherwise interesting design. How does one go about having a design without it?

My other question is about the copyright issue. I would like to have a line of retro-inspired t-shirts, but the designs I like come from other people like Getty Images, vintage lps and vintage magazine advertisements. I know Getty charges at least $500 to clear a rights-managed photo, but that is quite steep for the average person. I don't know how easy it would be for one to get clearance on their own. I'm also unclear on whether or not I would be legally able to use record covers at all, much less the vintage ads. The time period I am specifically interested in is the 1950's-early 60's.

I would not be doing the t-shirt printing myself, so I would have to find the right people to do it. I would also need to find the right t-shirts.

I do know that I want 100% good quality cotton, tagless, a nice choice of colors and not the typical Hanes t-shirt, but a bit more of a feminine style.

Thank you in advance!

Kim

·
Registered
557 Posts
The square you refer to is usually a result of transfers instead of using the screen printing, sublimination or DTG (Direct to Garment Printer)

There is a thread here about the pros and cons of the various methods, worth a read as it will give you an idea of what can be achieved with, and why there are so many different methods!

Welcome!

·
Registered
37 Posts
hey ruby, i'm a newbie too, the best site to go to for advice and tips is www.transferbusiness.com they are very thorough and informative. I recommend ANYONE who is just getting started to go to this site. you won't be disappointed check with anyone else who has been to this site as well.
-jjsmalls08

1 - 5 of 5 Posts